verb profici

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spqr
Textkit Fan

verb profici

Post by spqr »

I thought this might be the present passive of proficio but this verb has no passive so I looked at the paradigms of similar verbs but no luck. What verb does it belong to? Is it a syncopated form?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: verb profici

Post by bedwere »

It is the present infinitive passive of proficio.

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

This is what I thought at first but I consulted wiki but wiki said this verb has no passive forms. I guess wiki is not so reliable.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Try logeion instead, which has also a morphological tool.

Aulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aulus »

spqr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:07 pmThis is what I thought at first but I consulted wiki but wiki said this verb has no passive forms. I guess wiki is not so reliable.
Yeah, it's not. Think of it as a largely unfinished but constantly improving work (even if its improvements sometimes come about slowly).

talus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by talus »

See OLD proficio, definition 1b: proficio used in the impersonal passive. Note that a number of intransitive verbs are used in the impersonal passive.
The OLD's first exemplary quote is from Cicero Sest. 60 (Pro Sestio) which shows a use of the passive infinitive profici as impersonal with aliquid as subject accusative.
M. Cato, etiam cum iam desperasset aliquid auctoritate sua profici posse, Marcus Cato, even now when he had already despaired that anything was able to be done upon his own authority...