historical infinitive

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spqr
Textkit Fan

historical infinitive

Post by spqr »

What does this term mean and what are some examples?

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: historical infinitive

Post by Hylander »

Allen & Greenough sec. 463:
The Infinitive is often used for the Imperfect Indicative in narration, and takes a subject in the Nominative:—

tum Catilīna pollicērī novās tabulās (Sall. Cat. 21), then Catiline promised abolition of debts (clean ledgers).

“ego īnstāre ut mihi respondēret ” (Verr. 2.188) , I kept urging him to answer me.

“pars cēdere, aliī īnsequī; neque sīgna neque ōrdinēs observāre; ubi quemque perīculum cēperat, ibi resistere ac prōpulsāre; arma, tēla, equī, virī, hostēs atque cīvēs permixtī; nihil cōnsiliō neque imperiō agī; fors omnia regere ” (Iug. 51) , a part give way, others press on; they hold neither to standards nor ranks; where danger overtook them, there each would stand and fight; arms, weapons, horses, men, foe and friend, mingled in confusion; nothing went by counsel or command; chance ruled all.

[*] Note.--This construction is not strictly historical, but rather descriptive, and is never used to state a mere historical fact. It is rarely found in subordinate clauses. Though occurring in most of the writers of all periods, it is most frequent in the historians Sallust, Livy, Tacitus. It does not occur in Suetonius.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0001
Bill Walderman

Dantius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: historical infinitive

Post by Dantius »

Read Sallust's Bellum Iugurthinum (or his Bellum Catilinae) and you'll never have trouble with historical infinitives again. The Iugurthinum, I believe, has over 300 examples of that construction.