Athenaze Modern Greek Audio

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Athenaze Modern Greek Audio

Post by Ursinus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:22 pm

A couple months ago I did some Modern Greek audio for the first couple or so chapters for Athenaze. Let me know what you all think! https://soundcloud.com/johannes-ursinus/sets/athenaze
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Athenaze Modern Greek Audio

Post by rmedinap » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 am

I applaud the initiative and good effort, but a few inconsistencies are easily detectable. First you still pronounce very clearly the spirits (like in ὁ πόνος), they should not be pronounced. Your diphtongs are good, but there's one thing that most manuals don't say: although modern Greeks do pronounce the αι as "e" there are some instances where it is pronounced as "ie" or "ye" (most notably in καὶ, χαίρει and Δικαιόπολις). Take for example Kavafis' poem Το Πρώτο Σκαλί and compare those και with the είναι

κ’ ένα ειδύλλιο έκαμα μονάχα.
Το μόνον άρτιόν μου έργον είναι.
[...]
Και δύσκολο στην πόλι εκείνην είναι
και σπάνιο να σε πολιτογραφήσουν.

Audio here.

Diphtongs are very well explained in this video but the guy (in subsequent videos) does the typical English-speaker mistake you also make with the και.

Another noticeable mistake is that often your γ sounds too strong, almost like a χ. Other than that I can only comment that your overall cadence (as in they way it all sounds as a whole when read continuously) sounds to me, a native Spanish speaker, very similar to how a Portuguese speaks, specially the colouring you give to your vocals instead of Greek.

You can compare your recording to another attempt to read page 94 of the Italian Athenaze here, with other sort of "mistakes". Any native Spanish speaker can immediately detect that the whole cadence and pauses done here belong to a Spaniard and not a Greek (the colouring of a few vocals also betrays the Spaniard origin). The one obvious inconsistency is that the he pronounces the ντ like a clear English (or Spanish) "n" + "t", it should be more like "n" + "d" (or a "t" almost pronounced like a "d").

For more practice with actual modern Greek there's a beautiful Greek Song called "Αν θυμηθείς τ’ όνειρό μου", you can hear a very clearly pronounced (and slow) version here.

Στην αγκαλιά μου κι απόψε σαν άστρο κοιμήσου
δεν απομένει στον κόσμο ελπίδα καμιά
τώρα που η νύχτα κεντά με φιλιά το κορμί σου
μέτρα τον πόνο κι άσε με μόνο στην ερημιά

Αν θυμηθείς τ’ όνειρό μου
σε περιμένω να `ρθεις
μ’ ένα τραγούδι του δρόμου να ρθεις όνειρό μου
το καλοκαίρι που λάμπει τ’ αστέρι με φως να ντυθείς

Or even more enticing is a short Kavafis' poem like Τα Παράθυρα, in that particular webpage there's an audio recording of almost all of the poems, this one I find particularly beautiful.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Wow. Thanks for the thorough examination. This is all very helpful. When you say that my και should sound like an ie or ye in certain instances, you mean like an iota, correct?

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rmedinap » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Just like in the audio I posted, it sounds as if there were a very small English "Y" (as in "yes") in between the κ and the αι. Ever heard someone shriek "Kya"? That "y" is the same as the one that goes in the καὶ.

Take a look at the audio and pay close attention to the words:

το καλοκαίρι (Last verse of Αν θυμηθείς τ’ όνειρό μου)

Or in Kafavis' poem:

Και δύσκολο στην πόλι εκείνην είναι
και σπάνιο να σε πολιτογραφήσουν.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Updated audio: https://archive.org/details/Athenaze22.

Though of course not perfect, I tried to improve in the areas you suggested. I've been listening to a good deal of native speakers and modern Greek. Let me know if it sounds like an improvement (sure did to me).

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus