Ben-Hur Translation Page 29: Victory

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Ben-Hur Translation Page 29: Victory

Post by bedwere » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for your help!

Previous pages.

Image of current page.

Humble and silent, Ben-Hur accepts the crown of laurel and the tribute of the Roman consul.

Benhur, humilis et tacitus, accipit lauream coronam ac laudes a Romano consule.

Ὁ Βενὼρ, ταπεινὸς ὢν καὶ σιωπῶν, δέχεται τὸν δάφνινον στέφανόν τε καὶ τοὺς ἐπαίνους ἀπὸ τοῦ Ῥωμαίου ὑπάτου.

The stadium still rings with cheers in spite of the fact the the favorite has been defeated.

In circo autem adhuc plausus resonant etsi dilectus auriga superatus est.

Ἐν δὲ τῷ ἱπποδρόμῳ ἔτι οἱ κρότοι ἠχοῦσι καίπερ τοῦ φιλουμένου ἡνιόχου κεκρατημένου.

Refusing all the rewards of victory Ben-Hur hastens to leave the stadium with his good and faithful friends. From sheik Ilderim comes word of warning.

Benhur, omnibus victoriæ fructibus recusatis, cum bonis fidelibusque amicis festinat a circo abire. Monitum autem quoddam e seniore Ilderimo procedit.

Ὁ δὲ Βενώρ, πάντας τοὺς τῆς νίκης καρποὺς ἀρνησάμενος, σὺν τοῖς ἀγαθοῖς τε καὶ πιστοῖς φίλοις σπεύδει ἐκ τοῦ ἱπποδρόμου ἀπελθεῖν. Παραίνεσις δέ τις ἐκ τοῦ πρεσβυτέρου Ἰλδεριμοῦ προχωρεῖ.

You must guard against treachery which Messala will inspire against you. His friends will seek to kill you for the humiliation you have brought upon him!

Cavendus est tibi dolus quem Messala in te nectet. Nam amici ejus tentabunt te occidere quia demisisti eum.

Φυλακτέον ἐστί σοι τὸν δόλον ὃν ὁ Μεσσάλας ἐπὶ σὲ ὑφανεῖ. Οἱ γὰρ φίλοι αὐτοῦ πειρήσονται ἀποκντέναι σε ὅτι ἐταπείνωσας αὐτόν.

From this day on my life belongs to HIM who will be our king.

Exinde anima mea est illius regis nostri futuri.

Ἀπὸ τούτου ἡ ψυχή μού ἐστιν ἐκείνου τοῦ βασιλέως ἡμῶν μέλλοντος.

Beware, for Messala knows now that you are the son of Hur. He will seek to have the Roman governor send you back to the galleys.

Cave. Nunc enim Messala novit te filium Hur esse. Ideo studebit Romanum præsidem remittere te ad naves.

Φυλάσσου. Νῦν γὰρ ὁ Μεσσάλας οἶδέ σε τὸν υἱὸν Ὢρ ὄντα. Σπεύσει οὖν τὸν Ῥωμαῖον ἡγεμόνα ἀποστεῖλαί σε εἰς τὰς ναῦς.

The vengeance I wreaked upon Messala is but a taste of what awaits all Romans when our king is ready.

Ultio mea facta de Messala modo non figurat quod omnes Romanos manebit, cum rex noster paratus fuerit.

Ἡ ἐκδίκησίς μου πεποιημένη τοῦ Μεσσάλα ὅσον οὐ σχηματίζει ὅ, τι πάντας τοὺς Ῥωμαίους μενεῖ, ὅταν ὁ βασιλεὺς ἡμῶν ἕτοιμος ᾖ.

I leave this night for Jerusalem where I shall keep my name and purpose a closely guarded secret.

Hac nocte abibo Jerosolyma, ubi diligenter in secretis servabo nomen meum ac consilium.

Ταύτῃ τῇ νυκτὶ ἄπειμι εἰς τὰ Ἱεροσόλυμα, ὅπου ἀκριβῶς ἐν ἀπορρήτοις φυλάξω τοὔνομά μού τε καὶ τὸν σκόπον.

I will join you when you send word that you have found our king.

Occurram tibi cum nuntiaveris te regem nostrum invenisse.

Ἀπαντήσομαί σοι ὅταν ἀγγείλῃς ὅτι εὕρηκας τὸν βασιλέα ἡμῶν.

Now that Messalla has lost, I must try to beguile this Jew so I may share his fortune and the fame he will gain with his new king.

Messala victo, opus est mihi conari decipere istum Judæum ut partem habeam divitiarum gloriæque quas ipse per novum regem lucretur.

Τοῦ Μεσσάλα ἡσσημένου, δεῖ με πειρᾶσθαι ἐξαπατᾶν τοῦτον τὸν Ἰουδαῖον ἵνα μετέχω τῶν τε χρημάτων καὶ τῆς δόξης τῶν διὰ τοῦ νέου βασιλέως ὑπ' αὐτοῦ κερδανθησομένων.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ben-Hur Translation Page 29: Victory

Post by bedwere » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Ῥωμαϊστί

Græce