Ben-Hur Translation Page 20: Balthasar’s Story

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Ben-Hur Translation Page 20: Balthasar’s Story

Post by bedwere » Mon May 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks for your help!

List of all the pages.

Original image of current page

Balthasar’s Story

Narratio Baltassaris

Ὁ λόγος τοῦ Βαλτασάρ

One cold December night two travelers sought shelter in the little town called called Bethlehem, a few miles from the ancient city of Jerusalem. Joseph, a humble carpenter and his wife Mary had come up from Galilee, out of the town of Nazareth, to Judea. Thence along the road to Bethlehem where they were obliged to come to be counted in the census ordered by the Roman emperor.

Nocte Decembris frigida, viatores duo hospitium quærebant in civitate quæ vocatur Bethlehem, distans millia passuum pauca a vetere urbe Hierosolymis. Joseph enim, humilis faber, et uxor ejus Maria ascenderant de civitate Nazareth in Judæam. Et illinc per viam ad Bethlehem, quo cogebantur ire ut describerentur in enumeratione a Romano imperatore edicta.

Νυκτός τινος Δεκεμβρίου ψυχρᾶς οὔσης, δύο ὁδοιπόροι ξενοδοχεῖον ἐζήτουν ἐν πόλει καλουμένῃ Βηθλέεμ, ἀπεχούσῃ πεντήκοντα μάλιστα σταδίους ἀπὸ τῆς παλαιᾶς πόλεως τῶν Ἱεροσολύμων. Ἰωσὴφ γάρ, ταπεινὸς τέκτων ὤν, καὶ ἡ γυνὴ αὐτοῦ Μαριὰμ ἀνεβεβήκεσαν ἐκ πόλεως Ναζαρὲθ εἰς τὴν Ἰουδαίαν. Καὶ ἐκεῖθεν διὰ τῆς ὁδοῦ εἰς Βηθλέεμ, ὅποι ἠναγκάζοντο πορεύεσθαι τοῦ ἀπογράφεσθαι ἐν ἀπογραφῇ ὑπὸ τοῦ Ῥωμαίου αὐτοκράτορος ἐπιτεταγμένῃ.

Joseph’s heart sank as he led Mary into a courtyard before an inn on the outskirts of the town. For the inn and the houses were full, and Joseph feared that Mary and a child soon to be born would perish if he could provided no shelter for them.

Mærebat autem Joseph dum adducebat Mariam in atrium ante deversorium in suburbio. Deversorium enim domusque plenæ erant, Joseph autem timebat ne Maria ac puerulus nasciturus perirent, nisi hospitium eis præbiturus esset.

Ἐλυπεῖτο δ' ὁ Ἰωσὴφ εἰσάγων τὴν Μαριὰμ εἰς αὐλὴν πρὸ πανδοκείου τινὸς ἐν τῷ προαστίῳ. Τὸ μὲν γὰρ πανδοκεῖόν τε καὶ οἱ οἶκοι μεστοὶ ἦσαν, ὁ δ' Ἰωσὴφ ἐφοβεῖτο μὴ ἥ τε Μαριὰμ καὶ τὸ παιδάριον τὸ τικτόμενον ἀπόλωνται, ἐὰν μὴ ξενοδοχεῖον αὐτοῖς παρασχῇ.

But the innkeeper took pity on the Nazarene and his young wife..

Caupo autem misertus est Nazareni nuptæque ejus. .

Ὁ δὲ κάπηλος ᾤκτειρε τόν τε Ναζωραῖον καὶ τὴν γεγαμημένην αὐτοῦ..

Though I cannot make room for you in the inn, I will help you all I can. My house is built against the mouth of a cave where our cattle are lodged. In there you will find warmth for the night. Hasten within!

Etsi non possum vos accipere in deversorio, quoad possim adjuvabo vos. Etenim domus mea ædificata est contra os speluncæ ubi pecora nostra stabulantur. Et ibi invenietis locum calidum per noctem. Festinate intro!

Εἰ καὶ οὐ δύναμαι δέχεσθαι ὑμᾶς ἐν τῷ πανδοκείῳ, μέχρι τοῦ δυνατοῦ ὠφελήσω ὑμᾶς. Ἡ γὰρ οἰκία μου ᾠκοδόμηται ἐναντίον τοῦ στόματος σπηλαίου τινὸς ὅπου τά πρόβατα ἡμῶν αὐλίζεται. Καὶ ἐκεῖ εὑρήσεσθε θερμὸν τόπον διὰ νυκτός. Σπεύσατέ γ’ ἔσω.

I give you the blessing of the homeless traveler!

Do tibi benedictionem viatoris sine tecto!

Δίδωμί σοι τὴν εὐλογίαν τοῦ ἀοίκου ὁδοιπόρου.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ben-Hur Translation Page 20: Balthasar’s Story

Post by bedwere » Sat May 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Græce

Ῥωμαϊστί