Blass and DeBrunner -- Best NT Grammar?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Blass and DeBrunner -- Best NT Grammar?

Post by Auberon »

Hey.

I'm getting into Duff's textbook (see thread in this forum if interested) and I got A Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature by Blass, DeBrunner and Funk. It is fascinating reading so far. I have some experience in Latin so it is making sense although it is still somewhat above my head.

Is this, in fact, the best grammar for NT Greek? I also own Smyth's Greek Grammar, but my impression is that Smyth is better for other earlier forms of Greek. (Forms which I will approach at a later date.)

Just looking for experiences, comparison and impressions. Bring it on.

Thanks.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Blass and DeBrunner -- Best NT Grammar?

Post by modus.irrealis »

There's "Greek Grammar Beyond The Basics" by Wallace -- a lot of people recommend it but I didn't like it that much, but it's certainly worth taking a look at it to see if you'd like it.

For stuff that's available online, there's the "A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research" by Robertson. It's what I turn to first when I have trouble. I like it -- it's very detailed and comprehensive (but to nitpick, it does take the 8-cases approach, which I'm not a fan of). I also occasionally use "A Grammar of New Testament Greek" by Moulton.

From what I've seen of people's opinions, I don't think there's a widely recognized best for NT Greek. There are lists like the one at http://www.ntgreek.org/books/grambook.htm and you might want to check out the other grammars but I don't think anything will be a huge improvement on the Blass grammar, except in terms of personal preference.

(Smyth's grammar is very good, though, and I do wish there were something just like it for NT Greek.)

Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Auberon »

Thanks, modus irrealis. I am eyeing A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research. I've seen a preview on Amazon.com and it looks great. I'll probably pick it up sometime.

Thanks for the webpage guide to grammars, too.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton

ndansmith
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ndansmith »

Blass-Debrunner is in my estimation a better reference tool as opposed to education tool. Other grammars are better for systematic study.