Two Πάρειμι Entries in the LSJ Lexicon

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Bernd Strauss
Textkit Neophyte

Two Πάρειμι Entries in the LSJ Lexicon

Post by Bernd Strauss »

The 9th edition of Liddell-Scott-Jones’ lexicon has two entries πάρειμι. See the link below, where both πάρειμι entries are given on the page. In the first entry, it is said that the word πάρειμι means “be present.” The definitions in the second πάρειμι entry are different.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m5XuB ... LXRMRh2WnE

Are the two words given in the lexicon different but related to each other? Or does the lexicon split the same word into two different entries?

The second πάρειμι entry reads:

42422 πάρειμι
µ πάρειμι (εἶμι ibo), inf. –ιέναι (Dor. –ίμεν Berl.Sitzb.1927.170 (Cyrene)), used as fut. of παρέρχομαι, also in pres. sense, παρῄειν being used as impf.:—pass by, pass, παριών Od.4.527, 17.233; οἰκτίρας. . παρίτω IG12.976; παρήϊε Hdt.4.79; οἱ ἀεὶ παριόντες Pl.R.616a, etc.; go alongside, Th.4.47; march along the coast, of an army, Id.8.16, 22, 32, X.HG2.1.18 (cj.), 4.5.19.
2. c. acc. loci, pass by, Hdt.7.109; τὸν χῶρον Id.1.167; τὴν οἰκίαν And.1.146, Str.14.5.14; π. παρὰ τοὺς πατέρας (prob. for παρῆσαν) Hdt.3.14; παρ᾽ αὐτὴν τὴν Βαβυλῶνα π. X.Cyr.5.2.29.
II. pass by, overtake, surpass, ib.1.4.5.
III. pass on, esp. in the sense of entering, π. ἐς τὰ βασιλήϊα Hdt.3.84, cf. 72, 77, Pl.Phd.59e; ἔσω π. E.Hel.451; πάριτ᾽ ἐς θυμέλας, ἐπὶ δ᾽ ἀσφάκτοις μήλοισι δόμων μὴ πάριτ᾽ ἐς μυχόν Id.Ion228 (anap.); βίᾳ εἰς οἰκίαν παριέναι X.Cyr.1.2.2.
2. in discourse, pass on from one part of a subject to another, ἐντεῦθεν ἐς. . Ar.Nu.1075; ὅ παριὼν τῷ λόγῳ ἔτυχον εἰπών in passing, Pl.Lg.776d.
IV. come forward, X.An. 7.3.46; πάριτ᾽ ἐς τὸ πρόσθεν Ar.Ach.143; τὸ μάχιμον εἰς τὸν μέγιστον τῶν ἀγώνων τολμήσει παριέναι Pl.Lg.830c: metaph., ἐς πρώτους νεωστὶ παριών Hdt.7.143.
2. come forward to speak, Pl.Alc.1.106c; παρῄει οὐδείς D.18.170; παριὼν ἐπὶ τὸ βῆμα Aeschin.3.159; παρῇσαν ἐπὶ τὸ βῆμα (cj. Dobree for παρῆσαν) D.1.8; παρῇμεν (cj. Cobet for παρῆμεν) εἰς τὴν ἐκκλησίαν Aeschin.3.71; at Athens, οἱ παριόντες orators, And.2.1, D.13.14, etc.; πᾶσι τοῖς παριοῦσι λόγον διδόναι Id.2.31.
V. pass from man to man, τὸ σύνθημα παρῄει X.An.6.5.15.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Two Πάρειμι Entries in the LSJ Lexicon

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

They are different roots that happen to look similar in the first person singular. They are not the same word.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Bernd Strauss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:They are different roots that happen to look similar in the first person singular. They are not the same word.
Is the word παρουσία related to the first word (which means "be present") or to the second word (which is closer to the meaning "come"), or to both?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Bernd Strauss wrote:
Is the word παρουσία related to the first word (which means "be present") or to the second word (which is closer to the meaning "come"), or to both?
The former.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

You can see it better from the present participle, which for πάρειμι 1 is παρών, παροῦσα, παρόν, while for πάρειμι 2 is παριών, παριοῦσα, παριόν. Obviously, παρουσία must derive from the former.

opoudjis
Textkit Member

Post by opoudjis »

To make it more explicit: one πάρειμι is παρά + εἰμί "to be", and the other is παρά + εἶμι "to go". Which is why the very start of the second definition says "(εἶμι ibo)", ibo being Latin for "go".

Bernd Strauss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Thank you for the explanation. I was not aware that there are other words εἶμι and πάρειμι which are defined as “go” and “pass by.” What would be the noun forms of these words εἶμι and πάρειμι? Are they ουσία and παρουσία?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

opoudjis wrote:To make it more explicit: one πάρειμι is παρά + εἰμί "to be", and the other is παρά + εἶμι "to go". Which is why the very start of the second definition says "(εἶμι ibo)", ibo being Latin for "go".
A future form, actually, "I shall go."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Bernd Strauss wrote:Thank you for the explanation. I was not aware that there are other words εἶμι and πάρειμι which are defined as “go” and “pass by.” What would be the noun forms of these words εἶμι and πάρειμι? Are they ουσία and παρουσία?
As far as I know, there are no noun forms based on the root εἶμι. If there were, it would be something like *παριουσία. As mentioned above, εἶμι is actually a future form used for ἔρχομαι and it's various compounds (ἐλεύσομαι more common in later Greek), and occasionally showing up in other tenses:
LSJ wrote:The ind. εἶμι usu. has pres. sense in Hom. (fut. Il.1.426, 18.280), but in Ion. Prose and Att. it serves as fut. to ἔρχομαι (q.v.), I shall go, shall come...
Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 489). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:As far as I know, there are no noun forms based on the root εἶμι. If there were, it would be something like *παριουσία.
But see our earlier thread on ἐπιούσιος
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Zembel
Textkit Member

Post by Zembel »

I found this thread while searching the internet for an answer to my question. The moral is that there's no place like Textkit when you are scratching your head over a Greek form.

I'm reading Lucian's Verae Historiae and at 1.28 he has:
ἐμβάντες δὲ εἰς τὸν ζῳδιακὸν ἐν ἀριστερᾷ παρῄειμεν τὸν ἥλιον, ἐν χρῷ τὴν γῆν παραπλέοντες:

I understand that παρῄειμεν is from πάρειμι, based on the ibo verb. I can see that this is imperfect indicative but I can't understand how Lucian gets that string of three vowels and one iota subscript.

Thanks in advance.
Можете торжествовать – без знания греческого нет образования.
Л.Н. Толстой в письме к А.Фету

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Zembel wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:49 pm ἐμβάντες δὲ εἰς τὸν ζῳδιακὸν ἐν ἀριστερᾷ παρῄειμεν τὸν ἥλιον, ἐν χρῷ τὴν γῆν παραπλέοντες:

I understand that παρῄειμεν is from πάρειμι, based on the ibo verb. I can see that this is imperfect indicative but I can't understand how Lucian gets that string of three vowels and one iota subscript.
It seems this is a later form-check Smyth 775:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ythp%3D775

Zembel
Textkit Member

Post by Zembel »

Just what I was looking for! Thanks Aetos!
Можете торжествовать – без знания греческого нет образования.
Л.Н. Толстой в письме к А.Фету