Inspecting 1 John 1:1

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Re: Inspecting 1 John 1:1

Post by Isaac Newton »

mwh wrote:I didn't post for your benefit, Isaac, since I know that would be futile, but for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with this perennial thread
Wouldn't it have been far more honest to have informed these readers that those "bits" (in your post Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:32 pm) were pertinent to your own reading of the construction, and not that "they are in fact pertinent to the construction" ?
and your behavior.
Support this charge, whatever you mean by it.
Οὐαὶ οἱ λέγοντες τὸ πονηρὸν καλὸν καὶ τὸ καλὸν πονηρόν, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ σκότος φῶς καὶ τὸ φῶς σκότος, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ πικρὸν γλυκὺ καὶ τὸ γλυκὺ πικρόν

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Isaac Newton wrote:
mwh wrote:and your behavior.
And here we are on CARM all over again.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Hi jaihare,
jaihare wrote:
Isaac Newton wrote:
mwh wrote:and your behavior.
And here we are on CARM all over again.
Do you have an example from the GNT of what you're proposing at 1 John 1:1- 4 ? -- of a verb which governs it's own relative clause , and also governs multiple other relative clauses detached from it .
Οὐαὶ οἱ λέγοντες τὸ πονηρὸν καλὸν καὶ τὸ καλὸν πονηρόν, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ σκότος φῶς καὶ τὸ φῶς σκότος, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ πικρὸν γλυκὺ καὶ τὸ γλυκὺ πικρόν

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Isaac Newton wrote:Do you have an example from the GNT of what you're proposing at 1 John 1:1- 4 ? -- of a verb which governs it's own relative clause , and also governs multiple other relative clauses detached from it .
I notice that you restrict the question to the Greek New Testament. Why not open it up to the rest of the corpus of extant Greek materials? Do you imagine that the NT is its own language as a complete whole? If so, why do you quote Smyth in the first place?

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jaihare wrote: I notice that you restrict the question to the Greek New Testament.
Because 1 John 1:1-4 is from the Greek New Testament. :) And also because we have close to 1700 examples of relative clauses in the GNT. If you can't find one similar example from 1700 , I fear that there is indeed something very wrong with what you're proposing .
Why not open it up to the rest of the corpus of extant Greek materials?
Very well.. But your example must be from the Koine -- you have the Septuagint, most of the early "church fathers", Plutarch and Polybius...

Do you imagine that the NT is its own language as a complete whole? If so, why do you quote Smyth in the first place?
Because I had chanced upon it. Remember, I had already provided examples for the same from the GNT.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

First, I apologize for resurrecting this thread from the depths of Hell, I've been away from Textkit the last couple years and after spending an hour walking through the pages of this discussion I want to add my two cents worth. I add to the general consensus of everyone else who commented on this thread that the reading proposed by Isaac Newton is forced and unnatural. The idea of constructio ad sensum here with λογος is just really odd. I won't say it's impossible, but the idea that John is trying to make some big theological point with the neuter relative is beyond absurd to me. Of course I'm a trinitarian, but this verse has zero theological import as far as I'm concerned; it's a simple introduction to a letter. Do I have a vested interest in the reading? minime, ουδαμως.

Isaac, you've said that "numbers" don't matter, but I think in a situation like this the broad consensus does have weight. Consider that of all the people on this forum who have weighed in on the topic everyone has read this text in more or less the same way although coming from different theological backgrounds. Also, unless I'm mistaken, you are the only person on this forum who sees any theological value in this verse. So, to conclude that thought, the one person who sees theological value and support for his own view from the verse in question interprets it in a way very different from the rest who see absolutely no theological value in the verse. That strongly suggests something to me, and it should to you also.

Lastly, you've said that ο γεγραφα, γεγραφα in John 19:22 has an antecedent. This is incorrect. The antecedent is not and cannot be "the King of the Jews" because Pilate didn't say that. John is narrating events, the Pharisees come up and say "Don't write 'the King of the Jews'..." and Pilate says nothing but "What I've written, I've written". In both English and Greek the 'what/ο' has NO antecedent. It has a referent, yes, just as I would argue that the ο in the text in question has a referent, but not an antecedent. Again, Pilate did not say " 'the King of the Jews', which I've written, I've written", but simply ο γεγραφα, γεγραφα. Your analysis is dead wrong. In the former 'the King of the Jews' is the antecedent, but in the latter there is no antecedent, although 'the King of the Jews' is the referent. Some would say the antecedent is omitted, but that's just a more complicated way of saying there is no antecedent. So yes, John 19:22 is a perfect example of the relative pronoun used without an antecedent, and it's perfectly analogous to 1 John 1:1 where there is no antecedent either (although there is a referent).

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. »

I admire and/or deplore your courage in resurrecting this thread!

Despite the risk of being stigmatised as a Trinitarian running-dog etc. (when I'm not even a Christian), I have to agree with all that you say.

One further point. I suppose few would dispute that John's most important statement about the λόγος is at the start of his Gospel. Having mentioned the λόγος in 1.1, in the next verse we have:[ b]Οὗτος[/b] ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ πρὸς τὸν θεόν. Now surely, if John had wished to make the theological point which Isaac attributes to him, and if he was even half as keen on the (so-called) constructio ad sensum as Isaac claims, he would have done so here, of all places; yet, instead, we have Οὗτος in agreement with λόγος.

To my mind this - along with the other points which you have so ably summarised - tends to undermine Isaac's interpretation.

John

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Hi Calvinist,
calvinist wrote:First, I apologize for resurrecting this thread from the depths of Hell, I've been away from Textkit the last couple years and after spending an hour walking through the pages of this discussion I want to add my two cents worth. I add to the general consensus of everyone else who commented on this thread that the reading proposed by Isaac Newton is forced and unnatural. The idea of constructio ad sensum here with λογος is just really odd. I won't say it's impossible, but the idea that John is trying to make some big theological point with the neuter relative is beyond absurd to me. Of course I'm a trinitarian, but this verse has zero theological import as far as I'm concerned; it's a simple introduction to a letter. Do I have a vested interest in the reading? minime, ουδαμως.
(a) Why is it "really odd" ?

(b) Would you say the same about ἀπαγγέλλομεν in verse 3 governing the relative clauses in verse one ? To me this is far more "odd" than what I'm proposing (I've explained why in the preceding pages.)

Isaac, you've said that "numbers" don't matter, but I think in a situation like this the broad consensus does have weight.
So you think the testimony of six or seven novices (mostly trinitarians, and ex-trinitarian sympathizers) is "broad consensus" ?
Consider that of all the people on this forum who have weighed in on the topic everyone has read this text in more or less the same way although coming from different theological backgrounds.
Do you have an exact number in mind ? Could you tell us their "theological backgrounds" please ?

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you are the only person on this forum who sees any theological value in this verse.
What exactly do you mean ?

So, to conclude that thought, the one person who sees theological value and support for his own view from the verse in question interprets it in a way very different from the rest who see absolutely no theological value in the verse. That strongly suggests something to me, and it should to you also.
I'm not sure I'm following you...
Lastly, you've said that ο γεγραφα, γεγραφα in John 19:22 has an antecedent. This is incorrect. The antecedent is not and cannot be "the King of the Jews" because Pilate didn't say that.
I don't know what that's supposed to mean but Pilate is clearly affirming in John 19:22 that he wrote the words Ὁ βασιλεὺς τῶν Ἰουδαίων.. not literally perhaps , but he's certainly taking responsibility for writing these words.

John is narrating events, the Pharisees come up and say "Don't write 'the King of the Jews'..." and Pilate says nothing but "What I've written, I've written". In both English and Greek the 'what/ο' has NO antecedent.
So you don' think Pilate was responding to their question ?

It has a referent, yes, just as I would argue that the ο in the text in question has a referent, but not an antecedent.Your analysis is dead wrong.

It has no antecedent but a referent ? Aren't you aware that "antecedent" and "referent" are the same thing ? I think you mean to say that it has an implicit rather than an explicit antecedent ? So what in your opinion is the referent of ὁ in John 19:22 ?

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

John W. wrote:I admire and/or deplore your courage in resurrecting this thread!

Despite the risk of being stigmatised as a Trinitarian running-dog etc. (when I'm not even a Christian), I have to agree with all that you say.

One further point. I suppose few would dispute that John's most important statement about the λόγος is at the start of his Gospel. Having mentioned the λόγος in 1.1, in the next verse we have:[ b]Οὗτος[/b] ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ πρὸς τὸν θεόν. Now surely, if John had wished to make the theological point which Isaac attributes to him, and if he was even half as keen on the (so-called) constructio ad sensum as Isaac claims, he would have done so here, of all places; yet, instead, we have Οὗτος in agreement with λόγος.

To my mind this - along with the other points which you have so ably summarised - tends to undermine Isaac's interpretation.

John

Οὗτος is forced in John 1:2 because this is the first time that John has introduced ὁ Λόγος to his readers , so clarity of thought overrides the need for constructio ad sensum here . Had John used τοῦτο in verse 2 , readers might possibly become confused and look to τὸ φῶς as it's postcedent , for example . However 1 John is a commentary on the prologue so no such ambiguity would result . John's readers would already be familiar with his prologue . This together with the prepositional phrase περὶ τοῦ λόγου τῆς ζωῆς and a lack of any neuter gendered noun in the near vicinity to go with ὃ is a clear signal to his readers that in 1 John 1 τοῦ λόγου τῆς ζωῆς is the antecedent of ὃ .

Also, let it be noted that as soon as it becomes possible to utilize constructio ad sensum in his prologue , John does so, as when he refers to τὸ φῶς made flesh in verses 10,11 and 12 with the masculine pronoun αὐτὸν. Contrast this with the fact that he refers to the pre-flesh τὸ φῶς in verse 5 with a neuter pronoun αὐτὸ. It is clear from this that apostle John did not consider pre-flesh τὸ φῶς to be a "person." His grammar (indeed perhaps an unconscious,non-deliberate application [and non-application] of constructio ad sensum in the relevant verses just mentioned) betrays this readily enough to all those with eyes to see, IMHO.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Isaac Newton wrote: (a) Why is it "really odd" ?
I’m not sure I’m following you. Could you say exactly what you mean by this question please?
(b) Would you say the same about ἀπαγγέλλομεν in verse 3 governing the relative clauses in verse one ? To me this is far more "odd" than what I'm proposing (I've explained why in the preceding pages.)
Explain exactly what you mean please. In exactly what preceding pages have you explained this?

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Hi mwh,

I’m not sure I’m following you. Could you say exactly what you mean by this question please?

The poster "Calvinist" asserted that my reading of the text is "really odd". I'm asking him to explain why he thinks that way (instead of just declaring that it is so) .

What exactly do you mean ?.
The consensus here (including yours) is that ἀπαγγέλλομεν in verse 3 is governing the relative clauses in verse one.

In exactly what preceding pages have you explained this?
Start off with page one, my post to you... where I said the following, among other things:

"I would humbly counter by suggesting that your proposal puts an insurmountable strain on the Greek. For example the main verb , according to your way of thinking, does not occur until the end of line 3, leaving the relative clauses impossibly dangling miles away from it, and cut off by multiple interruptions . .. "

I hope this clarifies things a bit for you,

Sincerely, in the hope of the real Christ,

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Because if John wanted to make some major theological point he wouldn't do it in such a way that everyone has missed it for 2000 years. I've read this verse numerous times in Greek and never, ever, ever considered your understanding of it. But I get the feeling that you're going to say that it's because of the "trinitarian" Greek grammar I've learned. I've read quite a bit of Greek outside of the NT and my sense for how Greek works would never lead me to read this verse that way. That's why it's really odd, because it just is.
No. This has been covered. First, John didn't write verses, they were added centuries later. We use them for reference points, not as a measurement of language as you are doing. You seem to be saying that a verb must govern a relative clause in it's own "verse" or something absurd like that. Find a source that states how many "verses" can separate a verb from it's object and then maybe I'll agree with you, otherwise you're just making up "rules". Others have given examples in both Greek and English of a verb separated from it's object by just as much text; so absolutely not, it's not odd at all, it's how I naturally read the verse.
So you think the testimony of six or seven novices (mostly trinitarians, and ex-trinitarian sympathizers) is "broad consensus" ?
Very poor form, the people commenting on this page are obviously at an intermediate or advanced level in Greek. Are you a novice? What level are you at? Grandmaster?
Do you have an exact number in mind ? Could you tell us their "theological backgrounds" please ?
You just did, see above. But on a more serious note, I know at least three of them have openly stated that they don't identify as Christians. That means the term trinitarian does not apply to them. The term "ex-trinitarian sympathizer" is so loaded that it's about to explode from it's own pressure. If they say that they aren't trinitarians, then you need to accept that in good faith. Calling them "ex-trinitarian sympathizers" is akin to calling them liars; it's rude, disrespectful, and you now lose 10 points.
Also, unless I'm mistaken, you are the only person on this forum who sees any theological value in this verse.

What exactly do you mean ?
I'm not sure I'm following you...
Very simple. According to you, we all have a theological ax to grind, and this would include YOU. Ok, I'll accept the general truth of that (less so with self-identified non-christians). But that doesn't mean that every single word or sentence in the Bible is contentious and distorted by our views, that's just absurd, and it's what you're implying. At the same time, you are implying that you have some God-like ability to rise above it all. With that in mind, it is very relevant to point out the simple fact that no one (except you) sees any theological value in this verse. Put another way, none of us (except you) really cares whether the neuter relative is pointing to logos or if it's constructio ad sensum. Speaking for myself, even if it's to be read with Newtonian grammatics as you've proposed then it still poses no threat to my personal theological views as a trinitarian. You, however, think it does challenge the trinitarian view. That means that the only person who has any vested interest in the reading of this text is YOU, and pairing that with the fact that you are the only person to read it in a different way suggests eisegesis very strongly.
It has no antecedent but a referent ? Aren't you aware that "antecedent" and "referent" are the same thing ? I think you mean to say that it has an implicit rather than an explicit antecedent ?
First, "antecedent" and "referent" are not the same thing. An antecedent is a type of referent, like a dog is a type of animal. But saying that an antecedent and referent are the same thing is like saying that a dog and an animal are the same thing. They're both wrong and confused:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antecedent_(grammar)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referent
Ok, I'll use your terminology to prevent confusion. An "implied antecedent" is what I mean when I say "no antecedent", id est, there is no word/phrase/clause found in the text/speech that is functioning as the antecedent. So when you say that the Ο Βασιλευς των Ιουδαιων in John 19:21 is the antecedent of ο γεγραφα γεγραφα you are dead wrong. The phrase is the object of the prohibition μη γραφε which wasn't even said by Pilate!
Now, in 1 John 1:1, the consensus of us poor, dumb, trinitarian-brainwashed novices is that the neuter relative has no explicit antecedent, say it has an implied antecedent if you will, but that seems to be confusing you. When you demand that we point out the words from the text that act as the antecedent you are suggesting that it must have an explicit antecedent, but it doesn't, and John 19:22 is a perfect example.
As far as the referent goes in 1 John 1:1, it's simply "that which was from the beginning, that which they heard, that which they saw with their own eyes...." That is the referent. Look at this example in English:
Person A: "What did you do last night while you were gone?"
Person B: "I did, what I did." (Feci, quod feci/ εποιησα, ο εποιησα)
What is the referent of "what"? Tell me, I demand you! That's the way we feel when you keep demanding we give up some word or phrase. To reiterate, there is no reason to demand that we produce a word or phrase that is functioning as the antecedent of o because in our view the antecedent is implied, that is to say, there is no antecedent in the text.
Οὗτος is forced in John 1:2 because this is the first time that John has introduced ὁ Λόγος to his readers , so clarity of thought overrides the need for constructio ad sensum here . Had John used τοῦτο in verse 2 , readers might possibly become confused and look to τὸ φῶς as it's postcedent , for example .
No, no, no. Garbage. John W made an excellent point. John 1 is the perfect place to make a theological point with constructio ad sensum. It would cause no confusion, that is an ad hoc attempt to explain it away. And if it's so dangerous to do it in the opening of John then why is it better to do it as the very first word of 1 John in such a contorted way that it's still unclear 2000 years later and one must be a Grandmaster of Newtonian Grammatics to understand it?
Lastly, I must thank John W and mwh for their service to the Sith Lord Darth Wallace and his apprentice Darth Mounce. The Rebel Alliance will soon be defeated and the trinitarian dark side will rule the galaxy. :lol:

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

calvinist wrote:
Because if John wanted to make some major theological point he wouldn't do it in such a way that everyone has missed it for 2000 years.
Not everyone. Herbert W. Bateman for instance, a Trinitarian scholar, didn't miss it... to his great credit.

I've read this verse numerous times in Greek and never, ever, ever considered your understanding of it. But I get the feeling that you're going to say that it's because of the "trinitarian" Greek grammar I've learned. I've read quite a bit of Greek outside of the NT and my sense for how Greek works would never lead me to read this verse that way. That's why it's really odd, because it just is.
Perhaps it's time to consider it ?!

No. This has been covered. First, John didn't write verses, they were added centuries later. We use them for reference points, not as a measurement of language as you are doing. You seem to be saying that a verb must govern a relative clause in it's own "verse" or something absurd like that. Find a source that states how many "verses" can separate a verb from it's object and then maybe I'll agree with you, otherwise you're just making up "rules". Others have given examples in both Greek and English of a verb separated from it's object by just as much text; so absolutely not, it's not odd at all, it's how I naturally read the verse.
Actually, no example has yet been given on this score.
Very poor form, the people commenting on this page are obviously at an intermediate or advanced level in Greek. Are you a novice? What level are you at? Grandmaster?
Typical novices. :D

Ok, I'll use your terminology to prevent confusion. An "implied antecedent" is what I mean when I say "no antecedent", id est, there is no word/phrase/clause found in the text/speech that is functioning as the antecedent.
Good.

So when you say that the Ο Βασιλευς των Ιουδαιων in John 19:21 is the antecedent of ο γεγραφα γεγραφα you are dead wrong.
So you keep insisting.
The phrase is the object of the prohibition μη γραφε which wasn't even said by Pilate!
What exactly is this supposed to mean though? The Jews said to Pilate Μὴ γράφε Ὁ Βασιλεὺς τῶν Ἰουδαίων... ("do not write the King of the Jews..."). Pilate replied with Ὃ γέγραφα, γέγραφα ("What I have written, I have written"). In other words he's replying somewhat to this effect -- "the words which I have written (i.e. Ὁ Βασιλεὺς τῶν Ἰουδαίων), I have done so,... so stop complaining."

Now, in 1 John 1:1, the consensus of us poor, dumb, trinitarian-brainwashed novices is that the neuter relative has no explicit antecedent, say it has an implied antecedent if you will, but that seems to be confusing you. When you demand that we point out the words from the text that act as the antecedent you are suggesting that it must have an explicit antecedent, but it doesn't, and John 19:22 is a perfect example.
So then tell us what this implied antecedent is ?

As far as the referent goes in 1 John 1:1, it's simply "that which was from the beginning, that which they heard, that which they saw with their own eyes...." That is the referent. Look at this example in English:
Person A: "What did you do last night while you were gone?"
Person B: "I did, what I did." (Feci, quod feci/ εποιησα, ο εποιησα)

What is the referent of "what"? Tell me, I demand you! That's the way we feel when you keep demanding we give up some word or phrase. To reiterate, there is no reason to demand that we produce a word or phrase that is functioning as the antecedent of o because in our view the antecedent is implied, that is to say, there is no antecedent in the text.
This is an example not of a statement with an implied antecedent but of one with no antecedent. Person B has no intention of telling person A what he did, i.e. what "what" is. Is this really what you think John is doing at 1 John 1:1 ?

No, no, no. Garbage. John W made an excellent point. John 1 is the perfect place to make a theological point with constructio ad sensum. It would cause no confusion, that is an ad hoc attempt to explain it away. And if it's so dangerous to do it in the opening of John then why is it better to do it as the very first word of 1 John in such a contorted way that it's still unclear 2000 years later and one must be a Grandmaster of Newtonian Grammatics to understand it?
Lastly, I must thank John W and mwh for their service to the Sith Lord Darth Wallace and his apprentice Darth Mounce. The Rebel Alliance will soon be defeated and the trinitarian dark side will rule the galaxy. :lol:
Sadly, this sort of [over the top] rhetoric seems to be the extent of your "arguments" so far. Why not challenge my arguments with some substance instead ?

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. »

Isaac Newton wrote:Had John used τοῦτο in verse 2 , readers might possibly become confused and look to τὸ φῶς as it's postcedent , for example .
I'm afraid that I cannot see how anyone reading the Greek text sequentially could possibly think that the referent of τοῦτο could be τὸ φῶς, which is not only not in an adjacent clause, but (in the text as normally punctuated) is first mentioned two sentences later:

Οὗτος[τοῦτο?] ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇπρὸς τὸν θεόν. [3]πάντα δι᾽ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο, καὶ χωρὶς αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο οὐδὲ ἕν. [4]ὃ γέγονεν ἐν αὐτῷ ζωὴ ἦν, καὶ ἡ ζωὴ ἦν τὸ φῶς τῶν ἀνθρώπων: [5]καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

Of course, I'm only a 'novice' in Greek, and so perhaps your insight is more penetrating than mine, but I really cannot imagine anyone taking τοῦτο, had it been used here, as referring to τὸ φῶς.

Apart from the specific question of τοῦτο, I don't think you've really addressed my wider concern: if John had an important theological point to make of the kind you attribute to 1 John 1.1, would he not have found some way or other to make it here, in what is surely by far his most important pronouncement regarding the λόγος, rather than just in a later letter?

John

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

John W. wrote:
Isaac Newton wrote:Had John used τοῦτο in verse 2 , readers might possibly become confused and look to τὸ φῶς as it's postcedent , for example .
I'm afraid that I cannot see how anyone reading the Greek text sequentially could possibly think that the referent of τοῦτο could be τὸ φῶς, which is not only not in an adjacent clause, but (in the text as normally punctuated) is first mentioned two sentences later:
Yet you have no problem with going along with the idea that ἀπαγγέλλομεν in verse three governs the relative clauses in verse one .

Apart from the specific question of τοῦτο, I don't think you've really addressed my wider concern: if John had an important theological point to make of the kind you attribute to 1 John 1.1, would he not have found some way or other to make it here, in what is surely by far his most important pronouncement regarding the λόγος, rather than just in a later letter?

John
You seem to be arguing backwards. The idea that λόγος is an "Eternally Existing Person of the Godhead" was read into (eisegeted) John's prologue by the Gnostic "Christians" (or "proto-Orthodox" as Dr. Bart Ehram is apt to call them). So obviously the apostle could not have spoken out against what had not yet happened. This is not to say however that the author does not unwittingly betray his hand concerning whether or not pre-flesh τὸ φῶς (aka λόγος ) was a person in his prologue.

In this regard, look first at verse 5 : apostle John refers to τὸ φῶς with the neuter form of the pronoun αὐτὸ.. Now go on to verses 10, 11 and 12 when τὸ φῶς has become a person (i.e. a human being). The apostle suddenly starts referring to it with a masculine pronoun (αὐτόν ) by constructio ad sensum. This is unmistakable grammatical evidence (albeit non-deliberately done) showing that the author did not consider τὸ φῶς in verse 5 to be a person. Otherwise he would have referred to it here also with a masculine pronoun as he did in verses 10, 11 and 12. One has to be blind (or else blinded) to miss this clear grammatical signature, IMHO.

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. »

Isaac Newton wrote:
Yet you have no problem with going along with the idea that ἀπαγγέλλομεν in verse three governs the relative clauses in verse one .
I'm afraid I fail to see the parallelism - the two cases are completely different in nature and construction. Greek can certainly have its constructional complexities; all I am saying is that it seems implausible to me that anyone coming across τοῦτο in the suggested place would have any reason to think it related to τὸ φῶς. Clearly we will have to differ on this.

Joh

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

John W. wrote:
Isaac Newton wrote:
I'm afraid I fail to see the parallelism - the two cases are completely different in nature and construction. Greek can certainly have its constructional complexities; all I am saying is that it seems implausible to me that anyone coming across τοῦτο in the suggested place would have any reason to think it related to τὸ φῶς. Clearly we will have to differ on this.

Joh
I think you just shot yourself in the foot here, albeit unwittingly. You now agree that depending on "the nature and construction" of a sentence , a pronoun could be separated from an antecedent which is not only not in an adjacent clause, but is first mentioned two sentences later. You might not think this likely in a sentence like John 1:2 (assuming τοῦτο instead of Οὗτος) but others might disagree. Here's a simple test in this regard with a real life example. What is the antecedent of the masculine pronoun αὐτόν in verse 12 ?

In any case let's cut to the chase here: Can you give us an example from the GNT of what you're suggesting at 1 John 1:1 -- that is, of a relative clause which is the object of a verb far removed from it ?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Brilliant!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

So true, this discussion has brought to my mind this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

calvinist wrote:
So true, this discussion has brought to my mind this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c
What I can see is that as soon as I asked John W the following question (relative to his οὗτος / τοῦτο argument at 1:2) , he conveniently disappeared , and the three of you started [re-]/trolling :

What is the antecedent of the masculine pronoun αὐτόν in verse 12 ?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

ὃ γέγραπται, γέγραπται

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. »

Isaac Newton wrote:What I can see is that as soon as I asked John W the following question (relative to his οὗτος / τοῦτο argument at 1:2) , he conveniently disappeared , and the three of you started [re-]/trolling :

What is the antecedent of the masculine pronoun αὐτόν in verse 12 ?
Some of us do actually have a life and commitments beyond posting on here, Isaac, but in your eagerness to see conspiracies and plots everywhere that explanation seems not to have occurred to you. I was going to let you have a considered response as soon as I had time to do so, but frankly, in view of your graceless comments, I really have no more time to waste on pandering to your paranoia.

John

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Well, as I said, he conveniently disappears..

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Paul Derouda wrote:ὃ γέγραπται, γέγραπται
I've already shown that the relative pronoun here has an antecedent.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Isaac, I'm going to try to take a different route.

1. You said that John didn't use constructio ad sensum in John 1 because it would cause confusion, although we who read Greek have said it would present no confusion to us as non-native speakers, and the supposed use of it in 1 John 1 is much more confusing. So, unless you cite a source that states the dangerous confusion of constructio ad sensum in John 1, I will count it as a product of your own imagination. Or to quote you: "This is another one of your notorious assertions by force of will." Cite a source, or the assertion is baseless.

2. You said earlier that a native Greek speaker would naturally read 1 John 1 the way you're proposing, i.e. they would interpret ο λογος as the antecedent of o and would recognize constructio ad sensum. Cite a source that says that a native Greek speaker would naturally read the text this way, or else: "This is another one of your notorious assertions by force of will."

3. What is the earliest reference to anyone debating the theological significance of this verse? If, as you say, your reading is the "natural" way a native Greek speaker would read it then surely it would've come up in the debates over the deity of Christ in the early church who were ALL fluent Greek speakers? What early references do you have of either A) someone arguing against the deity of Christ using your reading of this text or B) an evil trinitarian trying to counter arguments that this verse denies the deity of Christ? If the native Greek speakers were silent on this verse during the early debates about the deity of Christ, then I argue that your assertion that your reading is the "natural" way a Greek speaker would read it is: "This is another one of your notorious assertions by force of will."

4. Hypothecial scenario: We find 10 intermediate Greek students at a university and give them this text to translate without any reference to where it comes from. We ask the students after translating if the text sounds familiar or they know where it comes from. None of them are familiar with it as they are all non-christian atheists who are learning Greek because they are into Classics (you seem to think it's impossible for someone to study Greek and not be a Christian). Now, how many of these 10 students in this hypothetical scenario do you think would translate the text the way you say it "naturally" reads? How many would insert the verb λεγω into their translation? If it's the "natural" reading as you say, then I'd think at least half of them would. But you and I both know that not a single one of those students would translate it the way you read it. I'd bet everything I own that not one would see λογος as the antecedent of o and no one would insert "I say". How many do you think would read it like you?

5. What was your intention when you started this thread? This thread is for basic questions related to Greek grammar, not theological debates by means of grammar. Two separate things. It's been proposed earlier and I think it should be said again: This thread should be moved to the "The Academy" which is intended for this kind of debate. What was your grammar question? It seems to me that you already knew and understood the grammar as far as you were concerned and weren't looking for insight from anyone. It seems you created this thread to lure "trinitarians and ex-trinitarian sympathizers" out so you could debate about the deity of Christ. It seems you just like to argue. In one thread where jeidsath was merely translating the Didache and looking for corrections you hijacked the thread and turned it into, you guessed it, a debate about the deity of Christ! http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... 23&t=63239 What is wrong with you? I'm serious. So, I think this thread should be moved, it doesn't belong here. It's primarily (for Isaac Newton) a debate about the deity of Christ by means of grammar.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

calvinist,

What is the antecedent (or else the postcedent) of αὐτόν in John 1:12 ?
Last edited by Isaac Newton on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Isaac Newton wrote:O.K., "intermediate Greek student", what is the antecedent (or else the postcedent) of αὐτόν in John 1:12 ?
I've discussed this here, in the PDF that I created to directly answer your question. You have failed to engage what I wrote there time and again. I indeed responded twice to your position by writing entire articles for you to read. The other one is posted online here and deals specifically with the issue of anaphors and cataphors and how they relate to the designations of "antecedent" and "postcedent" in literature similar to this.

You have never responded reasonably to either article.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jaihare wrote:
Isaac Newton wrote:O.K., "intermediate Greek student", what is the antecedent (or else the postcedent) of αὐτόν in John 1:12 ?
I've discussed this here, in the PDF that I created to directly answer your question. You have failed to engage what I wrote there time and again.
Jameson believes that αὐτόν in John 1:12 does not have an antecedent but rather has a postcedent ( John 1:17 ,Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ). Who here agrees with him ? I want to hear from you.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Isaac Newton wrote:Jameson believes that αὐτόν in John 1:12 does not have an antecedent but rather has a postcedent ( John 1:17 ,Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ). Who here agrees with him ? I want to hear from you.
I don't need you to speak for me. My articles can do that well enough. Thanks.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jaihare wrote:
Isaac Newton wrote:Jameson believes that αὐτόν in John 1:12 does not have an antecedent but rather has a postcedent ( John 1:17 ,Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ). Who here agrees with him ? I want to hear from you.
I'm not "speaking for you" though, but repeating your declared position in your "articles" and posts. I asked you the following question at Carm. on 03-06-15, 04:09 PM: "Is the postcedent of αὐτόν in John 1:12 Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ in John 1:17 ?"

You replied with: "Oh, if that's the question, then I would say yes. It's nice that you finally asked an intelligible question without odd diatribes." (03-06-15, 04:10 PM)

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Isaac Newton wrote:
jaihare wrote:
I'm not "speaking for you" though, but repeating your declared position in your "articles" and posts. I asked you the following question at Carm. on 03-06-15, 04:09 PM: "Is the postcedent of αὐτόν in John 1:12 Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ in John 1:17 ?"

You replied with: "Oh, if that's the question, then I would say yes. It's nice that you finally asked an intelligible question without odd diatribes." (03-06-15, 04:10 PM)
Why do you put the word "articles" in quote marks?

(And I would indeed say "yes" to that question again - though I don't need you to act as you speak for me. My words are public for all to see.)

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

jaihare wrote:
And I would indeed say "yes" to that question again - though I don't need you to act as you speak for me. My words are public for all to see.)
It does not come as a surprise to me that you should keep replaying your error at John 1:12 ( just as you also , unfortunately, do so at 1 John 1:1). I'll repeat the correct answer once more , though I doubt that you will listen: αὐτόν in John 1:12 has an antecedent (τὸ φῶς in John 1:9), not a postcedent in verse 17.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

jaihare wrote:
I've discussed this here, in the PDF that I created to directly answer your question. You have failed to engage what I wrote there time and again. I indeed responded twice to your position by writing entire articles for you to read. The other one is posted online here and deals specifically with the issue of anaphors and cataphors and how they relate to the designations of "antecedent" and "postcedent" in literature similar to this.

Thanks for sharing that, jaihare, great article. I gather that you have a "history" with Mr. Newton.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

By the way, Jaihare also insists that both Θεοῦ and δούλου in Phil. 2: 6-8 are epexegetical genitives ,.. both with the head noun μορφὴν . Sadly, it doesn't end here. There are more such wacky claims.
Last edited by Isaac Newton on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

calvinist wrote:
jaihare wrote:

Thanks for sharing that, jaihare, great article. I gather that you have a "history" with Mr. Newton.
I don't think any responsible person should be saying that about that article.. Calvinist, is it safe to conclude then that you agree with Jaihare -- that αὐτόν in John 1:12 has a postcedent in verse 17 (Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ) ?

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Isaac, you ignored every single point I made and answered none of my questions. I will ask again:

1. Cite a source that says John couldn't use constructio ad sensum in John 1:2 (τουτο) because it would introduce confusion, or else I call that assertion pure fantasy.

2. Cite a source that says a native Greek speaker would read 1 John 1 the way you propose (λογος as the antecedent of o/ the ghost verb λεγω), or else I call that assertion pure fantasy.

3. What is the earliest reference of anyone seeing theological value in this verse via constructio ad sensum? It's the "natural" reading for a native Greek speaker, so we should find lots of discussion of it and early right? If not, I reaffirm that your assertion of it being the "natural" reading is pure fantasy.

4. Hypothetical: 10 Greek students unfamiliar with the text... How do they translate it? How many interpret λογος as the antecedent of o? How many insert the ghost verb "I say" in their translation? How many?

5. Are you uncertain about the reading/grammar/syntax of this passage? If so, where? If not, and you just want us to explain to you why we read it the way we do then you are merely looking to debate and this thread should be moved to the debate forum.

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Hi Calvinist,
calvinist wrote:Isaac, you ignored every single point I made and answered none of my questions. I will ask again:

1. Cite a source that says John couldn't use constructio ad sensum in John 1:2 (τουτο) because it would introduce confusion, or else I call that assertion pure fantasy.

2. Cite a source that says a native Greek speaker would read 1 John 1 the way you propose (λογος as the antecedent of o/ the ghost verb λεγω), or else I call that assertion pure fantasy.

3. What is the earliest reference of anyone seeing theological value in this verse via constructio ad sensum? It's the "natural" reading for a native Greek speaker, so we should find lots of discussion of it and early right? If not, I reaffirm that your assertion of it being the "natural" reading is pure fantasy.

4. Hypothetical: 10 Greek students unfamiliar with the text... How do they translate it? How many interpret λογος as the antecedent of o? How many insert the ghost verb "I say" in their translation? How many?

5. Are you uncertain about the reading/grammar/syntax of this passage? If so, where? If not, and you just want us to explain to you why we read it the way we do then you are merely looking to debate and this thread should be moved to the debate forum.
(a) I don't understand why you think "citing sources" at points 1 and 2 has power to prove anything .I gave you reasons for my assertions .

(b) The rest of your points (3,4 and 5) have nothing to do with grammar.

I was hoping that you could please answer the question I asked you about αὐτόν at 1:12 ? If I don't see a response from you next post on this score, then this conversation with you will have come to an impasse.

Thanks for your time and continued patience,

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Isaac Newton wrote: (a) I don't understand why you think "citing sources" at points 1 and 2 has power to prove anything .I gave you reasons for my assertions .

(b) The rest of your points (3,4 and 5) have nothing to do with grammar.
Very telling. You gave reasons. I reject them, so cite an authority besides yourself (someone with real credentials like a university position as a professor of Greek or a Ph.D.) or I call the assertion fantasy. So again, I will ask and I'll wait to see if you can answer my questions:

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Just for the record, Jaihare distorts the Unitarian position in his article on some very fundamental points. I don't think he does so maliciously but rather out of ignorance. For instance he says the following:

Since the αὐτόν is unambiguously masculine in gender and the nearest relevant noun that precedes
it is τὸ φῶς, it is argued that τὸ φῶς is the antecedent of αὐτόν. In order for this to take place, the “natural gender” of τὸ φῶς is assumed to be masculine and αὐτόν refers to this natural gender through constructio ad sensum (see below). The natural gender of τὸ φῶς (which is grammatically neuter) is derived from the fact that it is really referring to ὁ λόγος of verse 1, which is (grammatically) masculine. Thus, the natural gender of τὸ φῶς is really the grammatical gender of ὁ λόγος. Thus, when the text says that ὁ κόσμος δι᾿ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο, καὶ ὁ κόσμος αὐτὸν οὐκ ἔγνω, it means that the world came into being through the light (it) and the world did not recognize the light (it). It should not be translated, according to this argument, in the way that the majority of translations render it, to say that the world came into existence through him (Jesus) and the world did not recognize him (Jesus). The purpose of this argument is to state that the αὐτόν here is talking about the light, an abstract existent, and not about the pre-incarnate Jesus, a personal being.
Unitarians do not believe bold above . This whole paragraph is in fact quite incoherent. Jaihare also writes the following:

The motivation for taking ὁ λόγος to be another way of saying ὁ νόμος (= ה ָורֹתּ) then becomes clear, and in order to maintain the position that ὁ νόμος at this point was abstract (not referring to a person but to an unwritten text) one must not read αὐτόν in John 1.10 as referring to a person (to a “him”) but to a thing (“it”). Thus, we understand the motivation of those who would read the text this way. But, is it the right reading? Let’s keep going.
In fact Unitarians suggest the opposite of what Jaihare wrote in bold above. αὐτόν in verses 10, 11 and 12 is a masculine pronoun yet it refers to a neuter noun (τὸ φῶς, verse 9). We believe this proves (through the route of costructio ad sensum) that apostle John views τὸ φῶς in these verses as a "person" / "a personality", as a "him," -- a human person to be exact . Contrast this with verse 5 where the author refers to τὸ φῶς with a neuter pronoun αὐτὸ. The neuter pronoun (αὐτὸ) shows that in verse 5 (before τὸ φῶς became a human being) no thought as yet existed in the author's mind that τὸ φῶς was a personality of any sort, or else he would have used a masculine pronoun here as well.

best regards,