Help about Heb 9:23

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Post Reply
kalunga
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Help about Heb 9:23

Post by kalunga » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:26 pm

Hello!

I'm using a Bible program to read the Bible in greek. It is the e-sword:
http://www.e-sword.net

The greek text has some letters showing what kind of word is there... Like V-PPI-3S. I imagine that this means that the word is a verb in present passiv indicative, third person singular... I want to know if there is a table of the meanings of all these codes...

But the main question is about Heb 9:23. There is a verb, katharizesthai, that is translated as "should be purified" in the King James, but the verb is an infinitive present verb. I tried to find more details about the infinitive, but I didn't find anything that could explain this translation.

Anybody here can help me?

Thanks!

Bert
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Arthur Ontario Canada

Re: Help about Heb 9:23

Post by Bert » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:54 pm

kalunga wrote:

But the main question is about Heb 9:23. There is a verb, katharizesthai, that is translated as "should be purified" in the King James, but the verb is an infinitive present verb. I tried to find more details about the infinitive, but I didn't find anything that could explain this translation.

Anybody here can help me?

Thanks!
It is just a matter of translation. Not every infinitive gets translated as an infinitive. There is not really any difference in meaning between It is necessary that they should be purified and It is necessary for them to be purified. (Actually, the addition of should makes is maybe a little weaker.)

kalunga
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Post by kalunga » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:21 am

Hi, Bert!

Thanks for the help. I'm asking this because in portuguese this verb is translated to a kind of past.
Hum, it is necessary top an infinitive to appear with another verb?

Thanks again!

Bert
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Arthur Ontario Canada

Post by Bert » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:24 am

kalunga wrote: Hum, it is necessary top an infinitive to appear with another verb?
No, it is not necessary but it is very common for an infinitive to complement another verb.
I am starting to walk.
It is necessary to study.
He is getting ready to eat.
She is beginning to get tired.

joja
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Help about Heb 9:23

Post by joja » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Hebrews 9:23 (King James Version)

9:23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things
in the heavens should be purified with these; but the
heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

------------------------

The purification of the animal sacrifices under the OT law
was a pattern of things representing the true
Blood Sacrifice in Heaven, which was a better Sacrifice,
the Sacrificial Lamb of God, Jesus Christ.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Help about Heb 9:23

Post by Kasper » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 am

joja wrote:Re: Hebrews 9:23 (King James Version)

9:23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things
in the heavens should be purified with these; but the
heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

------------------------

The purification of the animal sacrifices under the OT law
was a pattern of things representing the true
Blood Sacrifice in Heaven, which was a better Sacrifice,
the Sacrificial Lamb of God, Jesus Christ.
I realise it is not for me to criticise other posters, but what does this have to do with infinitives Joja?

Post Reply