Companion Text book W/BBG?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Duane Jones
Textkit Neophyte

Companion Text book W/BBG?

Post by Duane Jones »

I am new to Greek and am currently using Mounce/BBG. I have read on this forum that BBG does not cover all that I need in learning Greek. So I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a good beginners textbook that would go perfectly and give me what I am missing with BBG. (Remember I am new to Greek) and also need a basic English guide as it relates to Greek.

Thank You in advance!
Duane

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Companion Text book W/BBG?

Post by Markos »

The main thing you are missing in Mounce is English to Greek exercises. Accordingly, I would get Machen, New Testament Greek for Beginners.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Duane Jones
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Duane Jones »

Markos ~
Thank You!

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jswilkmd »

One thing I found exceptionally helpful was the Greek Tutor multimedia CD-ROM for the computer, published by Parson's Technology. It's an excellent companion to Mounce.

refe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by refe »

Missing English-Greek exercises along with much of the information you would need to complete such exercises!

I just started browsing through Machen at Markos suggestion, and it definitely goes into much more detail right off the bat on some of the issues, like accenting, that seem very tedious in the beginning but come in very handy down the road. I got all the way through Mounce without having any idea where to place an accent. That might not seem to matter when you are simply reading, but as soon as you try to form a sentence of your own in Greek you'll realize how important it is to know what governs accent placement. That is just one example.

Also, jumping right into some verb forms before even dipping into nouns is a big departure from the Mounce approach, who doesn't get to verbs until chapter 16. I'm not sure which approach I prefer when it comes to verbs.

I've only browsed Machen very briefly so far, but it seems like it might be difficult to do both of these books side by side due to how differently they introduce the various paradigms and other info. Perhaps going through Machen after Mounce would be a good bet? I suppose chronological differences between 1st year grammars will always be an issue though.
εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ
http://www.GreekingOut.com

Duane Jones
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Duane Jones »

jswilkmd ~
Thank You!

Duane Jones
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Duane Jones »