Γ25 - LSJ "εἴπερ" error?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Γ25 - LSJ "εἴπερ" error?

Post by jeidsath »

Γ21 τὸν δ’ ὡς οὖν ἐνόησεν ἀρηΐφιλος Μενέλαος
Γ22 ἐρχόμενον προπάροιθεν ὁμίλου μακρὰ βιβάντα,
Γ23 ὥς τε λέων ἐχάρη μεγάλῳ ἐπὶ σώματι κύρσας
Γ24 εὑρὼν ἢ ἔλαφον κεραὸν ἢ ἄγριον αἶγα
Γ25 πεινάων· μάλα γάρ τε κατεσθίει, εἴ περ ἂν αὐτὸν
Γ26 σεύωνται ταχέες τε κύνες θαλεροί τ’ αἰζηοί·
Τhe LSJ has "if really, if indeed, Il.3.25, etc.". However, this usage would seem to go much better with the next definition "esp. even if, even though, Il.7.117, Od.1.167, etc.;" And Leaf's note is "εἴ περ ἄν, even if, B 597". The Supplement updates the entry for εἴπερ, but doesn't correct this. Is it an error, or am I missing something?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Re: Γ25 - LSJ "εἴπερ" error?

Post by Constantinus Philo »

By the way, is Leaf's the best commentary on Il.? and what about Merry's commentary on Od., how good?
Semper Fidelis

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Constantinus Philo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 am Merry's commentary on Od., how good?
I can only comment from my own limited experience, but the comparison below of Merry & Riddell and the Oxford commentary from Heubeck, West & Hainsworth (1988) for a short passage from Book 6 should give you a good idea of the difference. Merry is much more exegetical and tends to quote and interpret from the scholia a lot, sometimes without attribution e.g. the discussion of the prepositions in ὑπεκπρορέει - we had a discussion about the scholia relating to this word last week in the Odyssey reading group.

Heubeck &al. are more selective in what they comment on but there's lots of stuff that wouldn't have been available to Merry & Riddell, such as the discussions of IE roots. They quite often send you off to another book to read more.

I've found that Merry is so profuse that it's quite fun to read, whereas Heubeck can be more useful but is very terse. The discussion of species of grass by Merry at line 90 led me on to look into Doorba, more commonly known as doob grass and possibly the source of the word doobie. Completely irrelevant but completely delightful. I can't comment on whether there are any huge problems with Merry's approach, but others might have opinions.

Sorry Joel for derailing your original question!

Heubeck, West & Hainsworth

Merry & Riddell

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

And Leaf's note is "εἴ περ ἄν, even if, B 597".
Ameis - Heintze has the same note referring to B597.
Willcock translates it in his notes as:
"He eats it eagerly (μάλα), even though the dogs and men run at him."
I wonder what the entry looks like in the latest edition of the LSJ.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I wonder what the entry looks like in the latest edition of the LSJ.
Well, as I said, "the Supplement updates the entry for εἴπερ, but doesn't correct this."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

I thought perhaps there was a later edition than that containing the Supplement, but after a little research saw that that edition is the latest, so perhaps they need to correct their punctuation next time round.