TLGMarathon: Hesiod, resources

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Redhead
Textkit Neophyte

TLGMarathon: Hesiod, resources

Post by Redhead »

Χαίρετε! Since I have just now finished the Iliad and will begin The Odyssey tomorrow, I thought I might as well post the topic on Hesiod in the meantime. See the first post of TLGMarathon for background. Of course I haven't yet acquired any of the items below but I have gone through L’Année phil. and looked for anything that could be of value. If anyone has any comments or preferences I would be very happy to hear your opinion on what is most useful and what might be skipped.

Commentary, text and translation

Mixed:
Theogony : and, Works and days / Hesiod ; translated with an introduction and notes by M.L. West; Oxford 1988
Hesiod I Theogony ; Works and days ; Testimonia / edited and translated by Glenn W. Most; Cambridge 2018
Hesiodi Theogonia : Opera et dies ; Scutum / edidit Friedrich Solmsen ; Fragmenta selecta / ediderunt R. Merkelbach et M.L. West; Oxford, 1990
Theogony ; and Works and days / Hesiod ; transl. and with introd. by Catherine McKee Schlegel and Henry Weinfield; Michigan, 2006
Works of Hesiod and the Homeric hymns / transl. by Daryl Hine; Chicago, 2005
Theogony ; Works and days ; Shield / Hesiod ; transl., introd., and notes by Apostolos Athanassakis [2nd ed.]; Baltimore 2004
Hesiod's Works and days: a translation and commentary for the social sciences / by David W. Tandy and Walter C. Neale; Berkeley, 1996
Works and days ; and Theogony / Hesiod ; transl. by Stanley Lombardo ; with introd., notes and glossary by Robert Lamberton; Indianapolis, 1993
The poems of Hesiod / transl. with introd. & comm. by Frazer R. M. ;illustr. by Roniger M. S.; Norman, 1983
The works and days, Theogony, The shield of Herakles / transl. by Lattimore R. ;ill. by Wilt R.; Ann Arbor, 1959

Theogony:
Theogony / Hesiod ; edited with prolegomena and commentary by M. L. West; Oxford, 1966.
Hesiod, Theogony / transl. with introd., commentary & interpretive essay by Caldwell Richard S.; Cambridge, 1987

Works and Days:
Works and days / Stallings, A. E.; Penguin Books 2018
Hesiod’s Works and Days: an interpretative commentary / Lilah-Grace Canevaro; Thesis (Ph. D.) – University of Durham, 2012 Does anyone know anything about this one?
Works & days / Hesiod ; ed. with prolegomena and comment. by M.L. West; Oxford, 1978
A commentary on Hesiod, Work and Days, vv. 1-382 / Verdenius W. J.; Leiden, 1985
Works and days / ed. with a comm. by Sinclair T. A., London, 1932

Shield of Heracles:

Fragmenta:
Fragmenta Hesiodea / ed. R. Merkelbach et M. L. West; London 1967

Lexicon:
LSJ, Cunliffe, Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos[In my dreams], Beekes[online!]

General:
Brill's companion to Hesiod / ed. by Franco Montanari, Antonios Rengakos and Christos C. Tsagalis; Leiden, 2009
Essential Hesiod / introd. & notes by Rowe C. J.; Bristol, 1978
Hesiod and the language of poetry; Baltimore, 1997
The language of Hesiod in its traditional context; Oxford, 1971

Dante
Textkit Neophyte

Re: TLGMarathon: Hesiod, resources

Post by Dante »

so you read the Iliad in Greek in one week? lol

Redhead
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Redhead »

Not at all. It took me from Jan 1 to May 17. But I started the Odyssey topic at the end of my reading of the Iliad, and now I have started the Hesiod topic at the beginning of the Odyssey. :) It's seems like there's limited interest at the moment, so I thought I should give it some time. :)

Dante
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dante »

Redhead wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:16 pm Not at all. It took me from Jan 1 to May 17. But I started the Odyssey topic at the end of my reading of the Iliad, and now I have started the Hesiod topic at the beginning of the Odyssey. :) It's seems like there's limited interest at the moment, so I thought I should give it some time. :)
ok thats a relief! you started that other topic about reading through the whole TGL like a week ago, so thats why I was wondering.