Iliad Book 1, line 64

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Iliad Book 1, line 64

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

Hi, just wondered if anyone could help explain this translation of a line in the Iliad (1.64):

ἀλλ᾽ ἄγε δή τινα μάντιν ἐρείομεν ἢ ἱερῆα
ἢ καὶ ὀνειροπόλον, καὶ γάρ τ᾽ ὄναρ ἐκ Διός ἐστιν,
ὅς κ᾽ εἴποι ὅ τι τόσσον ἐχώσατο Φοῖβος Ἀπόλλων,

It's the part where Achilles proposes they should ask a prophet why Apollo is so angry with them. It's the last line in the paragraph above which I'm struggling with. I know the translation is something like 'who might say why Phoebus Apollo is so angry', but I don't understand how the ὅ τι (underlined above) translates into 'why'?

Thanks in advance.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Iliad Book 1, line 64

Post by jeidsath »

ὅ τι is the neuter of ὅστις (see Smyth 339). It's sometimes written as ὅ, τι. I assume all the graphical strangeness is to differentiate it from ὅτι, but I don't actually know. It has got its own entry in the LSJ, which cites this very line.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

jeidsath wrote:ὅ τι is the neuter of ὅστις (see Smyth 339). It's sometimes written as ὅ, τι. I assume all the graphical strangeness is to differentiate it from ὅτι, but I don't actually know. It has got its own entry in the LSJ, which cites this very line.
Thank you!

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

jeidsath wrote:ὅ τι is the neuter of ὅστις (see Smyth 339). It's sometimes written as ὅ, τι. I assume all the graphical strangeness is to differentiate it from ὅτι, but I don't actually know.
You’re dead right, Joel. In order to differentiate it from the conjunction ὅτι, the singular neuter nominative-accusative of the relative-interrogative ὅστις is written either ὅ τι or ὅ, τι. The practice is obviously modern.

cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cramberepetita »

It's an adverbial accusative, 'regarding what', 'with reference to what', hence 'why'.