odyssey 1.18

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
klewlis
Global Moderator

odyssey 1.18

Post by klewlis » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:07 pm

[size=150]ουδ ενθα πεφυγμενος ηεν αεθλων<br /><br />the translation says this is "not even there was he free from toils"<br /><br />I don't get it. :)<br /><br /><br /><br />[size=150]πεφυγμενος is "having fled", is it not?<br /><br />hm... maybe it is starting to make sense. <br />is it something to the effect of "not even there had he fled his troubles"?<br /><br />then glossed to "not even there had he escaped his troubles"<br />and then "not even there was he free from his troubles"<br /><br />??<br /><br />that seems pretty far removed, is it not?<br /><br />and why is [size=150]αεθλοων genitive?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re:odyssey 1.18

Post by Paul » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:17 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I'm at work now, so I don't have any of my books with me. But I would hazard that ἀέθλων is a type of ablatival genitive denoting the point of departure against the verb φεύγω.<br /><br />So, as you say, something like: "Not even there was he removed from troubles".<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul
Last edited by Paul on Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:33 pm

ok... that is helpful, thanks :)<br /><br />I checked out what Smyth had to say on ablatival genitives (new term for me!) and it's slightly clearer than mud. But at least I have an idea now ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:25 am

When I translate that passage I'll tell you how I did it, but I'm not quite as far as you yet :)
phpbb