Pharr Group?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr Group?

Post by Socrates the Cyborg » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:02 am

I am starting with Pharr. I would like to do it with a group. Right now I am going at my own pace which is to proceed slowly in fits and starts. Anyone interested?

Hektor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hektor » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:12 am

I'm interested. How many people would we need?

Hektor

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Socrates the Cyborg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:58 pm

I don't know. I think part of it depends on whether we can get some experienced person to lead us. That might take more people. In that case we may just have to wait around till enough people are interested.

MichaelFournier
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MichaelFournier » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:59 pm

A friend and I are also interested in beginning Pharr. That makes four.

Michael
phpbb

dmlscholar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dmlscholar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:31 pm

I might be interested. Post some more information when you can. How long will it take to complete the book?
phpbb

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 pm

I just bought a copy of Pharr and I'd like to join the group.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:10 pm

I finished a Pharr group as a participant. I could offer some level (not the highest) of support.

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Socrates the Cyborg » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 pm

I don't really know, I think it all depends on a variety of things because this stuff is pretty informal here. I think we need someone to volunteer to lead us. Not much we can do about that until it happens. I also think the pace is negotiable but the feeling I get is about a lesson a week so nothing super rigourous. I think the more people who post here the more likely it is we will get someone to lead us. So I think partly we need to just keep checking in about it. I know there are answers to the exercises posted at http://greekgeek.org/ so I have just been moving forward on my own. I finished lesson 5 last night. So possibly we could just work together as a group. I will probably continue working my way forward but I will also continue to check in here about a group. I posted a question about some declensions from lesson 3 the other night and got very prompt replies as is usual around here, so another as I mentioned above, another possibility is that we can try to just form a group and work forward discussing as we go with the forums if we get stuck. If we do it that way we might be more likely to keep at until something more formal could be arranged and would probably look like a more attractive group for someone to take on, but that's just a suggestion. I will make my email visible on my profile if anyone is interested in working together that way, though replying here is probably good to show others we are still interested.

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:18 pm

I would be interested in participating, especially since it seems I can never get anything done unless I have accountability.

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Socrates the Cyborg » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Just as I was writing that others posted. perispomenon do you have any suggestions about how we should proceed?