New Pharr group looking for members.

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

New Pharr group looking for members.

Post by Bert »

As you can see in the "Want to be a Pharr guide anyone?" thread, Chad has offered to help with the English to Greek exercises and I am willing to do the Greek to English assignments.
All we need now is a number of members.
Anyone who wants to join a Pharr group please "apply" here.

JuliaP
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JuliaP »

oo! I would like to join, please. :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

JuliaP wrote:oo! I would like to join, please.
Well. That was fast.

:)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Bert,
I know you just finished a Pharr group. What can you tell me about the pace that it went (too fast, too slow, etc) and what kind of weekly time commitment did it require? I'm interested, but I need to decide if I can devote enough time to it right now.
Thanks

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Cool!

I would also like to join!

Thank you very much for the opportunity and for your time.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

edonnelly wrote:Bert,
I know you just finished a Pharr group. What can you tell me about the pace that it went (too fast, too slow, etc) and what kind of weekly time commitment did it require? I'm interested, but I need to decide if I can devote enough time to it right now.
Thanks
We did 2 lessons per week for the first while with occasional review weeks. After a while we did 1 lesson per week.
When I started, I had concerns about the pace.
I had worked through some of Pharr on my own before the group started so that made those lessons a bit easier. Homeric Greek was a new thing for me but I did have a bit of a (fragile) background in Koine.
It is my opinion that those who have not had any Greek before, will find 2 lessons per week to much. 1/wk is was quite managable and enjoyable. If every one in this group has had some Greek before, we can start with 2/wk, but as soon as someone lets us know that it is to much, we can slow down. I have not talked to Chad about this but I don't think he is very hard to get along with. I think it is more important to do some work on it every day and get very familiar with the material, than to rush through the book.
As to the time commitment: I spend approx. 1-2 hrs per day.
I think I am of average intelligence (what ever that is) so if someone has an above average intelligence, less than that may be fine.

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Hello,

I can attest that 2 lessons per week would be a bit fast for me, not due to time commitment, but simply due to not having enough time to cement the concepts. I worked through the first ten chapters on my own and I did them in one week installments. I spent about 1-2 hours a day with memorization drills and writing.This gave me enough time to memorize *all* of the vocabulary and have about a 90% concept absorbtion rate. The thing that thre me off kilter was the accenting rules, which I didn't understand properly. I have a better idea now, but man, the URL that people point you to is pretty damned confusing. In the end I understood it, but that document sure takes the long way around....

Of course, if I'm severely in the minority, I'll do 2 lessons per week.

One thing though, I very much prefer having a compositional ability in homeric greek and would like to not take pharr's suggestion to cut out the english to greek excersizes.

Thanks.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Hi Psilord, I agree with Bert and you that 1 lesson a week is the best option. We will also definitely do all the English to Greek exercises :)

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

me too

Post by Diane »

This post has been deleted by Diane.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_M_P
Textkit Neophyte

Post by A_M_P »

I'm in.

I agree with the above posters. For me 1/wk would work best because of my irratic work/school schedule. It would just give me a little more breathing room. But if 2/wk is decided on I'll manage I suppose.

Does anyone know when we'll be starting? I need time to learn betacode....

-andy

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

A_M_P wrote:

Does anyone know when we'll be starting? I need time to learn betacode....

-andy
It'll be a few weeks. Some people behind the scene have a fair bit of work to do. (Considering that they are doing it free-labour we can't very well initiate disciplinary action for not getting it done within the next working day.)
Jeff, the Textkit administrator, and William, the Textkit's Study Group Coordinator need some time to set up for this group. Paul, the brains behind the GTSS program that we will be using, has to enter quite a few of the lessons into the program yet.
So... you'll have a bit of time to get familiar with Betacode. BTW, if you are using SPIonic, Betacode will be a breeze.

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

That GTSS thingy is usable from firefox running on a linux machine, right?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

psilord wrote:That GTSS thingy is usable from firefox running on a linux machine, right?
I've not run it from Linux, but firefox on Solaris and OSX does work.

MichaelFournier
Textkit Neophyte

Which Edition?

Post by MichaelFournier »

I'm certainly in!

I'm curious to know which edition will be standard: the original, or the Wright revision. Is there much of a difference?

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

I think I'll give it a try again. Now I feel much more relaxed and with time.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Which Edition?

Post by Bert »

MichaelFournier wrote:
I'm curious to know which edition will be standard: the original, or the Wright revision. Is there much of a difference?
I have the Wright revision. According to Wright the changes are slight.
(Some traditional grammatical terminology has been explained, and Pharr's notes on the Iliad have been shortened.) so I'm confident that either one will work just fine.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Which Edition?

Post by annis »

MichaelFournier wrote:I'm curious to know which edition will be standard: the original, or the Wright revision. Is there much of a difference?
Some of Pharr's more extended notes are fairly tangential. Wright trimmed those.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Congrats for the new Pharr group!

Is it going to be named pharr-c group and referred a "farsi" group? I'm just curious. :roll:

Two lessons in a week is a rather mild pace in general. But I'm not doing well with it due to my varying rate of time I can reserve for the study. Sometimes there's plenty and sometimes not a minuite. But it's better to be in one, however it is hard to keep up with, than not doing it at all.

Good luck to all of you joining the new group!

ornellas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ornellas »

Count me in as well!

Augusto Ornellas
Brasilia - Brazil

ornellas _ a AT terra . com . br

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Excellent, I think we have enough pharr-c members now.

Could you each please PM your names and email addresses to Paul so that he can assign you user IDs for the software we use, thanks v much.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

mingshey wrote:Congrats for the new Pharr group!

Is it going to be named pharr-c group and referred a "farsi" group? I'm just curious. :roll:
farseers?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Diane wrote:

farseers?
I like that. A group of pharrseers sure sounds a lot better than the pharrsee group. :D

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

1 lesson a week, eh? I managed to get through the entirety of Pharr, composition excercises and all, in slightly over three months, after one month of White and not other Greek experience. Slightly less than a lesson a day. However, I am younger than most people at this forum, good with langauges, and immaturely impatient. Even so, I was tired by the end.

Is there any chance of there being a group devoted to ιλιαδος β in the foreseeable (or pharrseeable) future?

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:1 lesson a week, eh? I managed to get through the entirety of Pharr, composition excercises and all, in slightly over three months, after one month of White and not other Greek experience. Slightly less than a lesson a day.
I (a Pharr-b member) find English to Greek the most taxing (even with 5 years of high school Greek and at least 3 years of reading Greek at university under my belt, but never having been trained in translating into Greek). How did you manage that on your own? Without the Pharr guides I would be rather lost there.

Regards,
Adelheid

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

If it had been composition excercises from nowhere, I would not have been able to do it. But since all the excercises and the Iliad text were generally similar, I could usually check one against the other to see that I was at least close, and the vocabulary was right in my face (usually vocabulary is my difficulty in composition in foreign languages). Granted, I must have made plenty of mistakes, but my goal was not perfection, I could still make sense of the Illiad Greek, and I believe most of my excercises must have been close. And I was too impatient to wait for somebody to check it all before moving on - probably unwise, but I do not regret it.

I managed to find one of my old Greek > English excercises, from Lesson 48. I'm not proofing it, just typing, and not bothering to type in accents.

1. εξερεομεν τε και ομοσομεθα μεγαν ὁρκον.
2. ναι μα το σκηπτρον, ου νεητε οικαδε σοα, ενθα δε ομνυσεσθε παντες.
3. ημα σκηπτρα ου ποτε φυσουσι πυλλα και οζους, ουδ αναθηλησουσι, επει λελοιπαν τομας εν ορεσσι.
4. ὑιες αχαιων χαλκῳ ελεψαν σκηπτρα περι φυλλα τε και οζους, νυν δε ανακτες δικασπολοι, οἱ ειρυονται θεμιστας προς διος, φορεουσι τα εν παλαμῃς.

Looking at it now, there is one mistake I see, but I'll let the wiser ones judge my Greek from a few months back.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Pharrseers:

I have PMed each of you your GTSS userid/password.

Please let me know if you have not received them.

I count the following members:

yhevhe
psilord
michael (fournier)
shirley (JuliaP)
diane
andy (A_M_P)
ornellas

Did I miss anyone?

Thanks.

Cordially,

Paul

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

I would like to be in too!!!

just waiting for my email reply :D

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

This post was deleted by Diane.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Diane wrote:

farseers?
Then the Pharr-b-ers would be farbeers? That's odd but I like it, heh. :lol:

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Diane wrote:I seem to be too ancient to function here. In several respects.

For one thing I am 65 years old and have no Greek background whatsoever.

But a much bigger problem is that I am using an ancient Windows 98 SE with Internet Explorer 5.50 and you were right, it doesn't work. As a matter of fact it went into a complete tizzy.

How much of this needs to be done on the computer?
Hi Diane,

GTSS and Windows 98 will work fine together. What you need is IE6. Can you either get it for yourself or have someone help you download and install it?

Pretty much everything is done on computer. However, if the guides are willing to make an exception, perhaps some accomodation can be reached. But I would urge you to install IE6.

Cordially,

Paul

JuliaP
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JuliaP »

mingshey wrote: Then the Pharr-b-ers would be farbeers? That's odd but I like it, heh. :lol:
or maybe, "Pharr-b-its"

Phrases, Sayings and Idioms Home > Phrase Dictionary - Meanings and Origins > Far be it from me
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/134125.html

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Diane wrote:For one thing I am 65 years old and have no Greek background whatsoever.
Don't let it get you down. My father is close to your age, and he recently started studying Japanese. His progress is slow, but at least he is getting progress, and considering his good health and all but retired status, he will have plenty of time to move at his own pace.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

I have IE 6 and can check my hotmail through Outlook Express :)

I don't know about this other configuration, but I think if you install IE 6 it will keep the same config. as the previous IE installed.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Pharr-c is now full.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

I can't really remember for how long I have had IE6... But I don't see why you wouldn't be able to check your e-mails through OE even if the account is new.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Well, you are right Diane. I've just set up a new account to see this, and I couldn't open it from OE. My old account opens perfectly. And yes, it seems that it only works if you configured your OE before compatibility ended. So... I wouldn't do anything being you.

Right now I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, and there is an extension that lets you block Flash ads. Maybe that could help?