Wayback Greekgeek Pharr Key has disappeared

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Wayback Greekgeek Pharr Key has disappeared

Post by seanjonesbw »

Hello,

Does anyone have a mirror of the greekgeek.org answer key for Pharr saved? The Wayback machine has been down, I think because the current owners of the domain have denied access through robots.txt. http://web.archive.org/web/200805290412 ... kgeek.org/

Obviously if anyone knows another site that I could get the answer key at, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Sean

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: Wayback Greekgeek Pharr Key has disappeared

Post by edonnelly »

Will Annis (annis here at textkit) used to keep one on aoidoi.org, but I believe he took it down because the greekgeek one was becoming more complete than his. Maybe you could contact him and see if he has any interest in reviving it now that Paul and his website seem to have disappeared.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

False alarm! It's back. Thank you so much for your reply.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

All,

Yes, both I and my website did "disappear." I've been away from these boards for about 4 years now. The greekgeek.org website went away about one year ago.

It was a typically dumb thing: the e-mail @ associated with my website was, unfortunately, tied to the broadband provider. When I moved I could not keep that email @. Thus the registrar's renewal warnings never reached me.

In any event, I am pretty sure I have nearly all of the website sitting on my PC, and I can, at a minimum, simply e-mail lessons (html files) to anyone who wants them. In the long run, I would like to resurrect the website under some other domain name. Several months ago I communicated with Jeff Tirey about hosting it for me; he was amenable.

FWIW: I am also flirting with a new version of Ancient Greek Text Manager, one that would work with all web browser (and perhaps with all languages, not just Greek). I would like to know if there is any community interest in a new version of AGTM.

Kind of neat to be posting here again after so long.

Cordially,

Paul

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Nice to hear from you again, Paul!
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hello again, Adelheid -

Nice to hear from you, too. :D

And great to see that some folks from "back in the day" are carrying on at Textkit!

Cordially,

Paul

ArcusPluvius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ArcusPluvius »

Hello Paul,

What is your new email address? I checked your Texit profile, but all it has under "Contact Information" is the old GreekGeek website, so I don't know how to reach you. I would like to ask you for a copy of your answers to Pharr's "Homeric Greek", if you could please provide me with one. I'm new to Textkit, so I don't know if there is any other way of contacting bloggers. If you see this message, could you please contact me at ninakochi@yahoo.ca? Thank you very much in advance if you do. Thank you for creating this answer key! :)

Kindest regards,

Nina

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Yes, Paul, I for one am definitely interested in an updated, renewed AGTM.

And I now know why my attempts at contact last year over the 'old' AGTM issues I had went nowhere. :)

Nathan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nathan »

It appears to be down again. Does anyone have another link or a saved copy?

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I have my own (corrected) lessons from the Pharr-B group. Would that help you?
Regards,
Adelheid

kanewai
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kanewai »

I just finished printing Pharr, and would love a link to the answer key as well! I've been working my way through Assimil for the past month, but I think I need something more rigorous at this point.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I have my own (corrected) exercises om my laptop, it's not something I can give you a link to. If you want it, you could send me a direct message with you email address.
Regards,
Adelheid

kanewai
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kanewai »

Thanks, Adelheid! I got those in the mail.

Someone else was able to access the Geek Greek answer key using Way Back, and sent copies of all the pages. I formatted them and saved it as a pdf. If anyone wants them, I have it on my google drive account:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8zg0Ww ... p0STg/edit

And on dropbox:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35412506/Pharr ... %20Key.pdf

I assume these are public domain; if not, let me know and I'll take them down!

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

Kanewai…thank you! (And Adelheid and Paul, too.) I decided to do a another run through Pharr and this helps like you would not believe.

Danke!

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hello All,

For those who might be interested, I am working on a replacement for AGTM (Ancient Greek Text Manager) which was available via this site over 7 years ago.

This version will in principle be language-agnostic, i.e., it hopes to support almost any left-to-right language. Initial offerings will include German and ancient Greek.

Ultimately, it will be available at https://langrila.org

-Paul

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Hi Paul,

This thread was clearly a bit of a hit-and-run on my part because I didn't respond to your kind offer 9 years ago, so can I take the opportunity now while you're here to thank you for posting the key to Pharr - it was absolutely essential when I only knew a few words of Greek and had no teacher. We had a little read through last year of a couple of books from the Odyssey on this board, which brought me a lot of pleasure and wouldn't have happened if I hadn't found your site way back when.

I didn't get a chance to use the original AGTM, but I'd love to hear more about what features you're planning on building into it.

Thanks again,
Sean

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Most kind of you, Sean; thanks.

As to the Pharr answer key, I have a PDF copy that seems serviceable. Over the next few days I will work to make its contents available somewhere within langrila.org. It won't be pretty (yet), but it'll be available.

Thank you also for your question about the features I am planning for the new program whose current name is glosso. Like AGTM, it is a reflection of how I like to learn things, i.e., it is 'idiotic' in the root sense of the word. That said, others seemed to like and benefit from it.

Like AGTM, glosso is a desktop application. Unlike AGTM, it should run not only on Windows, but on OSX, and Linux as well. I am developing and testing on Windows 10. (At some point, I will need to either acquire a Mac or find a Mac user who can test it for me.)

Glosso's features currently include:
  1. import raw text
  2. word lookup
  3. word search
  4. word annotation
  5. record your translation
  6. export as PDF
  7. choose resolver
(2) means resolve the word, i.e., find its definition online. This is done via a Web-based 'resolver' and there can be multiple resolvers for a given language (see 7).

(3) means search the text for occurrences of the word and provide a means to navigate to their locations in the text.

(4) allows you to add your own notes to a word, e.g., morphology, sense, etc.

(5) you can enter and save your own translation for each line of the text

(6) create a PDF file that contains, based on your choices, the text, translation, and annotations. (Homework, anyone?)

I will be adding more stuff to it and with that in mind, I very much want to hear from the good people of Textkit how they "work" on a text and what features they'd like to see.

At some point I will attach here either a video or a few screen shots to give a feel for the current look and workflow.

Cordially,

Paul

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Sounds great - please keep us updated with how you're getting on.

I'm reading early Greek poetry at the moment when I have time, so my way of working (if I'm using a computer) is to copy text from Perseus under Philologic into my notes app, which I then mark up with little notes on sense that I know I'll forget by the time I get to the end of a passage and read back through. If I had a dream function for a Greek text handling program it would be to produce my own marked-up pages in the style of Pharr/Steadman where I can have these notes neatly formatted with the line number at the bottom of the page as I'm working through and saved as a pdf for posterity rather than in a jumble in my notes app.

With prose I work very differently and don't tend to read back over text as much, but it would be really useful to be able set a word frequency limit (e.g. <5 occurrences in the text, or hapaxes) below which every word is automatically glossed at the side of the page (like Ørberg's Lingua Latina series) next to the appropriate line with the Logeion short definition or similar. Or even better a link to a dictionary entry.

Also, I'm a mac user - I'd be happy to do some beta testing when you're ready to share with the world.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Sean,

Most helpful. I sent you a PM.

-Paul

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

👍

Amathia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amathia »

Hi, dear Paul,
could you send me the answer key
and
the missing pages (134,135,182,183) of the book? the google books is not accessable to me.
thank you so much!
my email: <email removed, use a PM>