Homer's Odyssey workbook

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

Homer's Odyssey workbook

Post by Dimitri »

Is there a Greek learning workbook for "The Odyssey" similar to the Pharr book for "The Iliad"?

thanks,
Dimitri

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Homer's Odyssey workbook

Post by Paul Derouda »

At least I'm not aware of any. But Pharr's is a good book, anything that is says applies for the Odyssey too. There's practically no difference between "Iliadic Greek" and "Odyssean Greek".

Pharr includes the text of the first book of the Iliad. Once you have read the book through and master all the vocabulary of Iliad's book 1 as well as the basic grammar, you will be well equipped to go on reading the Odyssey with a good translation and and a good dictionnary. (I recommend Hammond's translation and Cunliffe's dictionnary). This is what I did. After I had read through all of the Odyssey, I read the Iliad.

It will take a lot of time, which depends of course how much Greek you already know. Pharr is basically intended for beginners, but of course it helps if you know some other Greek dialect already (I knew a little NT Greek).

So this is the approach that I'd recommend if you're ready to commit a lot of time, and if you seriously intend to read the whole or substantial parts of the Odyssey. If you just want to read some specific part(s) of the Odyssey, then I don't know.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

"Reading Homer" is a two part textbook.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dimitri »

Scribo,

Can you tell me what exactly is meant by a two part textbook in "Reading Homer"?

Dimitri

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Dimitri wrote:Scribo,

Can you tell me what exactly is meant by a two part textbook in "Reading Homer"?

Dimitri
Sorry wrong name: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Course- ... 758&sr=8-1
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose