JWW exercises, para 319, 321, 328, 330, 336, 338

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, para 319, 321, 328, 330, 336, 338

Post by Koala »

further translation suggestions...

1 if we supply a market place, you will have the necessary goods
2 if he does not do these things, he will be doing wrong
3 if they (will) withdraw, Cyrus will not honour them
4 if you make him a friend, it will help/he will assist (you)
5 if we conquer, he will not ravish the country
6 therefore if you send him to Cyrus, you will have ships
7 if he does not lead/bring sufficient ships, we will use/make-use-of the others
8 but if the Cilicians cause trouble, Cyrus will proceed against them
9 if I shall win, I shall be king in place of my brother
10 if you besiege the emporium, the Cilicians will withdraw.

From there he marches on to ?the gates? of Cilicia and Syria. These consisted of (were) two walls, and Suennesis and a Cilician guard had the one situated towards Cilicia, and Artaxerxes? guard, it was said, guarded the one facing Syria. Between them ran a river. And the way in was narrow and the walls came down to the sea. Abrokomas did not guard these gates, but when he hears that Cyrus is in Cilicia, he marches away to Artaxerxes.

1 let us not allow this man/him to flee
2 he tries to benefit all, that they may be his friends/friends for him
3 let us march through the plain
4 Cyrus asks for boats, that they may send the targeteers away
5 let us therefore make war with the barbarians, that they may do our friends no harm
6 if the satrap is at/on the Euphrates River, I will go/drive away
7 if he flees, there will we plan against/towards these things
8 not even if he learns these things, will he call together his soldiers
9 let us not prevent Cyrus? army from marching away

From there he marches out through Syria to Myriandrus ? the place on the sea is an emporium, and is inhabited by Phoenicians. They remain there seven days; and Xenias and Pasion having taken a boat and the money sail off, being offended because Cyrus allows Clearchus to have their soldiers. But Cyrus called the generals together and said to them: ?Xenias and Pasion have abandoned us. But by Heaven, I will not pursue them, neither will I do them harm.? When the other generals heard/learned of the goodness of Cyrus, they gladly marched with him.

1 (O) friends, let us cease from this battle
2 they proceed slowly, (so) that the phalanx will not separate
3 Cyrus will not consider the satrap a friend, if he goes towards the province
4 they all shout, that the enemy will be misled
5 for they fear that the satrap will not cease from the war
6 if one destroys the bridge/the bridge is destroyed, the enemy will withdraw/go away
7 the country is hostile; it will therefore be perilous if you proceed through it
8 I fear that he will draw the sword
9 it is dangerous lest the enemy proceed against them at night

After these-things/this, Cyrus marches out twenty parasangs to the Chalus river; in the river are fish which the Syrians consider to be gods and do not permit (anyone) to harm. The soldiers encamped in the villages of Parysatis. From there he marches on to the source of the river Dardes. Here there was a beautiful palace and park. Cyrus cuts it down and burns down the palace. From there he marches on three stages to the river Euphrates.
Last edited by Koala on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Some scarce comments

ok

« the one facing the Cilician » : « the one situated towards Cilicia » (on the Cilician side of the border ; in my mind each wall denies the access to its « own » country, but it could be the contrary, the two walls then forming a kind of fortress, although Abrokomas’ action is less understandable in this case, for Cyrus thought that Abrokomas would occupy the wall situated on the Syrian side to stop him)
« the one facing the Syrian » : « the one situated towards Syria »

ok

« river » : « sea »

3. « summit » (would be ἄκρα) : « (his) province »
6. « If the bridge gets destroyed », « If one destroys the bridge » (for the subject cannot be « he »)
8. simply « draw », for σπάομαι in the middle is normally used to express « to draw a sword ». No suicid here.

« a hundred » : « twenty »

χαῖρε

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

Merci Skylax pour vos 'bons mots'

je vais rectifier les miens

à bientôt