Unit 8 Preliminary exercises

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Unit 8 Preliminary exercises

Post by hlawson38 »

I need help on two translations:

11. Mihi quaerenti opus est mente acri ut haec intellegam.

My effort:
To me when questioning the need is for a sharp mind that I might understand this.

12. Semper erimus rerum omnium memores de rei publicae spebus.

My effort:
Always we shall keep in mind everything that concerns the hopes for the republic.

Thanks.
Hugh Lawson

phil96
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Unit 8 Preliminary exercises

Post by phil96 »

11. Mihi quaerenti opus est mente acri ut haec intellegam.
To me when questioning the need is for a sharp mind that I might understand this.
I had difficulty with this one too. The problem for me was getting quaerentī into smooth English. Without it, the sentence is I need a sharp mind [or a keen intellect] to understand this.

Your literal translation looks fine to me; the issue is how to polish it into a form that we might speak. It's difficult with a short sentence like this that gives no idea of its context, and I don't worry too much these days, so long as I am reasonably happy that I've understood the syntax and vocab. Maybe Since I'm the one asking, I need a sharp mind...etc
12. Semper erimus rerum omnium memores de rei publicae spebus.
Always we shall keep in mind everything that concerns the hopes for the republic.
Maybe "of the republic [state]" might be better than "for the republic", since reī publicae is perhaps more likely to be genitive than dative.