Sophocles Translations

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
CodyKay
Textkit Neophyte

Sophocles Translations

Post by CodyKay »

Salve

I am currently reading some Greek plays, specifically Sophocles The Oedipus Cycle. This collection contains the plays Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, and last but not least, Antigone. The plays have been loosely and poetically translated by Dudley Fitts and Robert Fitzgerald in their book (just to give credit where credit is due!). Throughout the book there are several lines of what I presume to be ancient Greek, and my curiosity has gotten the best of me. In addition there are several paragraphs of Latin, however since I am a student of Latin I am translating those myself, to be later posted somewhere on Textkit for review.

I was hoping some of you could take a stab at translating the Greek for me, as I am very interested in knowing.

These first two sentences or groups were in dedication parts of the book.
πωξ δονκ α?ιστη τιξ δ εναντιωσεται τι χ?η γενεσθαι την υπε?βεβλημενην γυναικα

πολλα γα? σε θεσπιςονθ’ ο?ω χον ψενδοφημα

This last one is the one that originally caught my attention, it is on the back of the very last page of text in the book. Quite interesting.

πονος πονψ πονον φε?ει, πα πα πα γα? ονχ εβαν εγω

I did not put on any of the accent marks and some of the semi colons the original author used. If those are crucial or important to the meaning let me know and I will look into it. If I typed any of the words wrong (which is highly possible ha) let me know and I will check on that as well. Thanks in advanced all.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Sophocles Translations

Post by modus.irrealis »

CodyKay
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CodyKay »

Thank you very much modus.irrealis.

Ha the statement about semi colons being question marks is hilarious. I had no idea what they were actually used for. I am gonna try to tackle those Latin segments I mentioned later tonight.

CodyKay
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CodyKay »

I failed miserably trying to translate those segments. I asked for advice over here viewtopic.php?t=7981 on the Latin forum. Just in case anyone was curious.