Athenaze

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

Athenaze

Post by klewlis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:58 pm

apparently the first year greek classes here use Athenaze... so I was thinking of picking it up and using it to brush up on my greek and to become accustomed to classical (since my background is in koine). Anyway, I see online that there are two volumes plus workbooks. Are both volumes for first year greek, or is volume 2 for second year? And do I need the workbooks or are they superfluous? It's $47 for just ONE book! yikes...

is the focus mainly on reading, or is there also a fair amount of grammar instruction? I ask because if it is mostly reading, I might as well start with the second book and supplement it with Smyth... would that work? Or should I start with the first book anyway?

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:13 pm

It's a fair mix of reading and grammar, most schools, from what I can tell, use only Book 1 for the first year and Book 2 for the second year. I don't know anything about the workbooks at all, sorry.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:37 am

I have used Athenaze in autodidact mode. I do not know at what pace college/universities go. Basically, the first volume covers 1st, 2nd and third declensions nouns and adjectives. Verbs present, aorist, imperfect, present participles, both active and middle voices. Very few -mi irregular verbs. The vocab/grammar increases with the chapters.

Athenaze use an ongoing story about the adventures/misadventures of a farmer and his family. There are excerpts (simplified) from Herodotus,and other books. Also, there are general discussions about greek society, in English.

Volume 2 introduces passive voice, many -mi verbs, perfect, subjunctive, optative, genitive absolutes, and the texts become much more complicated than in volume 1.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:31 am

I also must admit that I'm not fond of the layout of Athenaze. The general idea is nice, but it, in my very humble opinion, needs a lot of revision on what, when, and how it presents it.

Turendil
Textkit Fan

Post by Turendil » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:00 am

my thing is that the alphabet should be memorized and after that the rest should be explained like Orberg
phpbb

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Well I bought Athenaze today and am hoping to get through it fairly quickly (if I do it quickly enough then I can return it to the store ;). Then I'll either move on to the second book or just start working on texts... was thinking of starting with Thycidides...

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 pm

After Athenaze vol 1, Thukydides, Herodotus and Xenophon are almost within reach; they can be read with some difficulties arising from grammar, (mostly verbs...), vocabulary, and complex sentence structures.

I think that by the middle of vol 2, these authors can be read with much more ease, except that vocabulary is always a hindrance.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:46 am

Thucydides by the end of book one? I'm not feeling it. Finish your tenses from book 2 (book 1 is a gyp, you don't get all the tenses) and you should be well off. Book 2 also has the -mi verbs and how to use them, which can be tricky, hrm, and some other stuff...like genitive absolute (almost like the Latin ablative absolute)...

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:50 am

Chris Weimer wrote:Thucydides by the end of book one? I'm not feeling it. Finish your tenses from book 2 (book 1 is a gyp, you don't get all the tenses) and you should be well off. Book 2 also has the -mi verbs and how to use them, which can be tricky, hrm, and some other stuff...like genitive absolute (almost like the Latin ablative absolute)...
I already know the tenses... 3 years of koine. ;)

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:08 am

Well, if you already know Koine, I don't see a practical reason to read Athenaze except for reinforcement. Then really you would have been better off doing an Attic grammar instead.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:47 pm

I guess that there are differences in details of declensions and of verbs mainly when comparing Attic vs Koine (saying this but not having studied Koine...). Athenaze, vol I especially, should not present any special problems to you.

If you need the book because the professor uses it, then by all means keep it.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:30 am

my main purpose is to see what is different between the two and to get a good refresher, as my greek is rusty. So far I am enjoying the textbook. :)

pocketscholar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by pocketscholar » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:30 am

I've heard that "Introduction to Attic Greek" by Mastronarde is a good one for Koine Greek students who want to get more exposer to Attic. That is the one I ordered. I guess we will see.
phpbb