What about this word?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
puer_dux
Textkit Neophyte

What about this word?

Post by puer_dux »

HI;
I'm asking about this word: αυτωι

- is it the the personal pronoun αυτοι?
- in what form is it? I mean Att, Ep, Ion

Can anyone help me?
Thank you

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

It is probably just α?τῳ written with the iota subscript next to the omega. Are you using a text from Cambridge University Press?

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

(Note : the computer I'm using has no Greek unicode, so I'm going to transliterate with Betacode)

au)twi the the same as au)tw| - the iota subscript just isn't sub. It's dative singular of au)tos. It appears this way in all of the main dialects. The iota subscript was only really added in the age of Alexander (I think. Somebody confirm this), but they used the iota subscript when they copied older documents (i.e. the Iliad). More info on the word "autos" can be found in just about any Greek grammar, and I would include a link if the Perseus server wasn't so troubled. However, you should be able to look it up quickly in any of the Greek textbooks/grammars available on Textkit.

puer_dux
Textkit Neophyte

Post by puer_dux »

-No, I'm not using a text from the Cambridge University Press, why?

-In what book can I find such thing? I was reading some pages in [ GREEK GRAMMER by WILLIAM W.GOODWIN ] about the personal pronouns page82:83 but I didn't find what you are talking about.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;