M 16.3 p 131 - "in some contexts... the imperfect can correspond to the English simple past.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

M 16.3 p 131 - "in some contexts... the imperfect can correspond to the English simple past.

Post by Asterisk1234 »

Is there a definition somewhere for "some contexts"?

Thanks to all.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: M 16.3 p 131 - "in some contexts... the imperfect can correspond to the English simple past.

Post by Hylander »

I don’t think it can be reduced to a definition. You need to read and understand the Greek first, and then, if you’re translating, decide how best to render the Greek in English.

One context where Greek frequently uses the imperfect but English would use the simple past is in narration. Greek often puts the main event in the aorist, after a string of imperfects describing activities that provide context or set the stage for the main event. English would generally put all of the verbs in the simple past.

Also, sometimes the Greek imperfect is used for an unsuccessful effort: “tried to”.
Bill Walderman

Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Re: M 16.3 p 131 - "in some contexts... the imperfect can correspond to the English simple past.

Post by Asterisk1234 »

OK, thanks, that helps.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός

hairetikon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hairetikon »

Asterisk1234 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:12 pm Is there a definition somewhere for "some contexts"?

Thanks to all.
What about the imperfect of εἰμί? Does this count as one such context? Because we translate ἦν not as "was being" but simply as "was."

Speaking of which, what is the reason for this?

Asterisk1234
Textkit Member

Post by Asterisk1234 »

hairetikon, I just saw your post. I assume it is directed to Hylander.- Personally, I have no answer to your questions.
ὁ Βίος Χαλεπός