Imperfect v. Aorist

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Imperfect v. Aorist

Post by Lukas »

Χαίρετε!

I am supposed to write this sentence in Greek, "The young men resolved [use impersonal δοκεῖ] to marry the daughters of the chorus trainer, for they hoped that each one would be both beautiful and wealthy."

I am not sure whether to put the verbs into the imperfect or aorist tense. On the one hand, someone may resolve but fail to do something, so it would not be just a one time act. On the other hand, one could be successful and it would be a one time event.

Imperfect or aorist?
Λουκᾶς

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: Imperfect v. Aorist

Post by cb »

Hi, the simple answer is to follow the example from the unit. I remember this from Mastronarde unit 20. See the e.g. Mastronarde gives on pg. 165 (2nd edition): it's in the aorist, not imperfect. You can use that as your guide for the exercise.

The complex answer is that both options are available, and that the choice comes down to a combination of multiple factors. You can see impersonal δοκεῖ in the aorist in e.g. Thucydides 7.43: ἔπειτα μηχαναῖς ἔδοξε τῷ Δημοσθένει πρότερον ἀποπειρᾶσαι τοῦ παρατειχίσματος, but in the imperfect in e.g. 2.3: ἐδόκει οὖν ἐπιχειρητέα εἶναι. There are many factors behind the choice, and not all of these have been identified yet (Duhoux 2000: s135), and so no need for you to dig into this (yet).

Cheers, Chad

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Lukas wrote: I am not sure whether to put the verbs into the imperfect or aorist tense. On the one hand, someone may resolve but fail to do something, so it would not be just a one time act. On the other hand, one could be successful and it would be a one time event.
I think this is not the way to look at it. It’s not a question of trying and failing. On this one occasion “they resolved” it doesn’t matter whether they were successful or not. The sentence doesn’t say they resolved to do something and to continue to do it if not at first successful.

I think you are making this more complicated than it is. The idea of completion in terms of aspect here is not the same as success.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the aorist would be more likely used about a decision that is final, whereas the imperfect would be more appropriate in a context where the selected course of action is open to revision if the circumstances change. This is how I see the Thucydidean passages at least.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Paul Derouda wrote: I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the aorist would be more likely used about a decision that is final, whereas the imperfect would be more appropriate in a context where the selected course of action is open to revision if the circumstances change. This is how I see the Thucydidean passages at least
My comment to Lukas was about his sentence which he was overthinking. Mastronarde is not asking students for anything complex here.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

I agree that I was overthinking it. Later I thought that if the results judged whether to put something in the aorist or imperfect, there would be very few aorists. :)
Λουκᾶς

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

One way of thinking about it, using English equivalents (more or less):

ἔδοξε -- they decided

ἐδόκει -- it seemed like a good idea (at the time)

This is more or less consistent with what Paul wrote, I believe.
Bill Walderman

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

What, no discussion of γαμεῖν versus γῆμαι?

But here are two quotes from Xenophon to confirm Hylander on imperfect versus aorist impersonal δοκέω:

X.An.5.2.20: ὁ δὲ Ξενοφῶν καὶ οἱ λοχαγοὶ ἐσκόπουν εἰ οἷόν τε εἴη τὴν ἄκραν λαβεῖν· ἦν γὰρ οὕτως σωτηρία ἀσφαλής, ἄλλως δὲ πάνυ χαλεπὸν ἐδόκει εἶναι ἀπελθεῖν· σκοπουμένοις δὲ αὐτοῖς ἔδοξε παντάπασιν ἀνάλωτον εἶναι τὸ χωρίον.

X.An.6.1.25: ἡ δὲ στρατιὰ συνῆλθε, καὶ πάντες ἔλεγον ἕνα αἱρεῖσθαι· καὶ ἐπεὶ τοῦτο ἔδοξε, προυβάλλοντο αὐτόν. ἐπεὶ δὲ ἐδόκει δῆλον εἶναι ὅτι αἱρήσονται αὐτόν, εἴ τις ἐπιψηφίζοι, ἀνέστη καὶ ἔλεξε τάδε.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com