"You Will Die" Accent

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

"You Will Die" Accent

Post by Lukas »

I had to write "You will die" and placed the accent in the wrong spot. Looking at the answer book, I was wondering if this is how the word is contracted:

1. I start out with ἀποθνήσκω.
2. The future is ἀποθανέομαι.
3. With the "you" ending, I get ἀποθανέεσαι.
4. Then the sigma falls out and I contract to ἀποθανέῃ.
5. Then I take it that the epsilon contracts with ῃ to get ἀποθνῆ?
Last edited by Lukas on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Λουκᾶς

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: "You Will Die" Accent

Post by mwh »

You lost an alpha in there. You forgot it’s not -θν- but -θαν- in the future (and also the aorist). So you should end up with ἀποθανῆ (with iota subscript; that’s not lost when -έῃ is contracted). An alternative spelling, actually more common, is ἀποθανει, again with circumflex. 2 sing. is a bear in the middle/passive.

And for present indic you meant not ἀποθνήσκωι but ἀποθνήσκω.

You might find it easier simply to learn the conjugations of the contracted forms. (I don't remember if Mastronarde gives them.) -ew verbs are much the commonest (as filew or poiew), but there's also -aw and -ow; so there's a total of three contract conjugations. Of course it's good to understand the stages of historical/morphological evolution and to be able to construct the contracted forms from scratch, but you certainly don't need to, at least for the time being,

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: "You Will Die" Accent

Post by Lukas »

Sorry about the typos. I was just going through to see if I understood the contractions.
Dr. Mastronarde has lists of principal parts, but I still have to contract the endings.
Λουκᾶς