Chapter 10 Question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lukas
Textkit Member

Chapter 10 Question

Post by Lukas » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 am

I am supposed to translate this into Greek, "In the eyes of the majority pleasure is not the measure of virtue."
The answer book writes, τοῖς πλείστοις ἡ ἡδονὺ οὐκ ἔστι τὸ μετρὸν τῆς ἀρετῆς."

I was wondering why there is an acute on the first syllable of ἔστι? Is the author thinking "is" should be translated "there is?"
Λουκᾶς

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Chapter 10 Question

Post by mwh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:53 am

No. This is the prescribed accentuation for εστι(ν) after οὐκ. Accentuation of εστι is something else I wouldn't worry about at this stage (if ever). Better to correct your accentuation of μετρὸν.

Callisper
Textkit Member

Post by Callisper » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:12 am

Doesn't seem like you took much away from this same thread 5 months ago - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69052 - where you asked exactly the same question (and, to boot, answered it for yourself within your very first post).

Lukas
Textkit Member

Post by Lukas » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:39 am

Different question. I did not know if this was emphatic or not.
Λουκᾶς

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:10 am

In a sentence such as τοῖς πλείστοις ἡ ἡδονὴ οὐκ ἔστι τὸ μέτρον τῆς ἀρετῆς, οὐκ ἔστι is not emphatic. It just means “isn’t.” (X is not Y.)
If the sentence were just τοῖς πλείστοις ἡ ἡδονὴ οὐκ ἔστι, it would mean “doesn’t exist.” (X is not.)

But I suggest we leave the discussion right there, or it will get endlessly confusing. It’s just not worth trying to understand rules which don’t really make sense in the first place.