Finished books I-IV of Anabasis

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Kurama
Textkit Neophyte

Finished books I-IV of Anabasis

Post by Kurama » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:35 pm

So I finally finished working through Mather and Hewitt's edition of the Anabasis (took me 18 months). I have also read twice Euthyphro, Apology and Crito. I have started with Phaedo. I am now wondering whether I should re-read Anabasis I-IV now or just continue with the remaining books. I have also been thinking about reading some Lysias. Do you have any advice on how to proceed from now on?

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Finished books I-IV of Anabasis

Post by Scribo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:45 pm

Re-reading is actually key in language acquisition. It's certainly key to classical languages. I mean I too literally just re-read the Anabasis. Read it in bed, start to finish, in a few days. There were certainly details I had missed the first few times I read it. Why? It's wonderful.

Yes, Lysias is also a good shout. Try reading a broad swathe of Attic oratory. I've been working my way through Aeschines, very enjoyable.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 pm

In addition to re-reading, the last few chapters of the Anabasis are even more interesting than the first four.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Constantinus Philo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:06 pm

i would suggest go on reading as for re-reading you could do it later when u have assimilated more new material
Semper Fidelis