starting greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

starting greek

Post by DoctorBadger »

I intend to start learning ancient greek soon. Can anyone recommend the best starter book? I have Mastronarde and like it's thorough grammar based approach.
Robin

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: starting greek

Post by seneca2008 »

Mastronarde Is thorough, at times opaque, and some might find it too dry. It seems to me an excellent text. Athenaze is lively and covers the ground well enough. JACT Reading Greek is also good but you will need the independent study guide if you are not joining a class.

Good luck!
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Actually, having all these texts available might be helpful, particularly if you don't have an instructor.
Last edited by Barry Hofstetter on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

JACT Reading Greek with independent study guide is how I became an autodidact. The important thing is to study (duh!), do all the exercises, check them, and never forget to ask questions on Textkit for clarification.

DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DoctorBadger »

Guys, thank-you for all the advice. I am ruthlessly thorough when learning languages, so shall get all the books.