Lexicon Thucydidæum (1824)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
donhamiltontx
Textkit Neophyte

Lexicon Thucydidæum (1824)

Post by donhamiltontx » Tue May 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Two questions:
1. Is this a reliable guide to the lexicon of Thucydides?
2. Has any work superseded it?
ἐς Τροίαν πειρώμενοι ἦνθον ᾿Αχαιοί,
καλλίστα παίδων: πείρᾳ θην πάντα τελεῖται.
Theocritus, Idyll 15

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Lexicon Thucydidæum (1824)

Post by John W. » Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm

I'm unfamiliar with this work. I've used a reprint of Betant's Lexicon Thucydideum (first published in 1843), which I found fairly helpful. Of course, such older works cannot take account of more recent scholarship, notably improved editions of the Greek text of Thucydides, but can be useful in tracking down other instances of the use of a particular word.

I have a feeling that there's a more recent lexicon of Thucydides, but I don't know the details; can anyone help out with this?

Best wishes,

John

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. » Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am

I've now tracked down the other work I was thinking of: Index Thucydideus by M. H. N. von Essen Dre (Berlin 1887; repr. Darmstadt 1964). I haven't seen this, and so have no idea of its merits or utility.

John

donhamiltontx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by donhamiltontx » Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

John W. wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am
I've now tracked down the other work I was thinking of: Index Thucydideus by M. H. N. von Essen Dre (Berlin 1887; repr. Darmstadt 1964). I haven't seen this, and so have no idea of its merits or utility.

John
Thanks, John.
Archive.org has a copy (https://archive.org/details/indexthucyd ... ft/page/n6), which I downloaded.
It is only an index, a concordance, of words that Thucydides used.
Even so, I can see a use for it for me when I'm looking for sample sentences to help me remember the meaning of a word. Though I do not think Thucydides is the most appropriate author for that sort of thing.
If I may go off-topic from my own thread, what is the standing of your translation? Once I drop the training wheels of Rusten's indispensable Green and White, I know what you have done would be very helpful. Maybe you have a Patreon account?
ἐς Τροίαν πειρώμενοι ἦνθον ᾿Αχαιοί,
καλλίστα παίδων: πείρᾳ θην πάντα τελεῖται.
Theocritus, Idyll 15

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. » Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks for your reply, and for the link to Index Thucydideus. As you say, this is simply what it says on the tin.

As I mentioned before, I used Betant simply to track down parallel instances of a word, to help me evaluate Thucydides' use of it in various contexts.

Thanks for asking about my translation. I'm afraid it's still languishing in a sort of Thucydidean limbo, pending my finding some way of ushering it into public view. I hadn't heard of Patreon before, but may look into that as an option. In the mean time, I'd be happy to post any snippets from my translation if you think you'd find them helpful in tackling any problem passages.

Best wishes,

John