Where to find examples of correlatives and particles?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
exorcist
Textkit Neophyte

Where to find examples of correlatives and particles?

Post by exorcist »

I'm on unit 36 of Mastronarde (learning independently) and having trouble internalizing the usage of correlatives and particles (other than the easy ones like μεν and δε). Are there resources that just give lots and lots of examples of correlatives and/or particles being used in context, with their translations?

Thanks!

Callisper
Textkit Member

Re: Where to find examples of correlatives and particles?

Post by Callisper »

I recommend you not worry about the precise force of the particles (or 'correlatives' by which I assume you mean particle combinations like me/n...de/) - any more than a sort of 1-4 word translation of each - until you get to being able to read Greek or take a good stab at it without translations. They should be regarded as one of the high-level areas, like word-order, to put off until you have got all the basics down.

For very basic coverages, I'd just take what Smyth tells you at this point. No need to even read any Greek examples he gives; just trust whatever he says. (I think his coverage of 'correlatives' and particle combinations is adequate? Let me know if not, I'll look for something better)

When you no longer need translations, go for 1) LSJ and 2) Denniston. People will tell you "you cannot read this cover-to-cover, it's a reference book, etc." - quite wrongly - if you have an appetite to really understand the particles, Denniston is a great read. Further research has been done post-Denniston but I doubt you'll want it at least until you have read a lot of Greek.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Maybe you could read some easy Greek and get a feeling. If you read the Gospels, you'll find plenty of correlatives and particles. It's Koine not Attic, so do not draw conclusions on syntax and accidence. But I don't think it will hurt.

exorcist
Textkit Neophyte

Post by exorcist »

Callisper wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 pm They should be regarded as one of the high-level areas, like word-order, to put off until you have got all the basics down.

For very basic coverages, I'd just take what Smyth tells you at this point. [...] People will tell you "you cannot read [Denniston] cover-to-cover, it's a reference book, etc." - quite wrongly - if you have an appetite to really understand the particles, Denniston is a great read.
Thanks Callisper, that's good to hear that the precise force of particles and correlatives (by which I mean pairings like ὅσῳ ... τοσούτῳ) is a high-level area, and so is word order, which I know I'm currently botching in English -> Greek translations.

Smyth had been sitting in my Amazon cart for a while; now that I'm nearing the end of Mastronarde I'll buy it and add Denniston to my "for later" list. :-)

bedwere wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am Maybe you could read some easy Greek and get a feeling. If you read the Gospels, you'll find plenty of correlatives and particles. It's Koine not Attic, so do not draw conclusions on syntax and accidence. But I don't think it will hurt.
Thanks bedwere! That's a great suggestion.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

correlatives (by which I mean pairings like ὅσῳ ... τοσούτῳ) is a high-level area
I don’t think these correlatives are something that can be deferred to later. They are not, I think, what Callisper had in mind. Work on them now will be repaid later. The explanation on p 318 and the subsequent table is worth working through a few times. I found them troublesome too!
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Years and years and years ago I had a similar problem with Latin. I didn't even know what to call them. What helped, and what suggested, was the following:

1) Make a list of those you can recall from memory
2) Make a list of what you think you should be there in your native tongue
3) DICTIONARY TIME (fill out your chart)
4) Work on memorising and practicing the forms/words
5) Update and revise as needed

It's actually the fastest way, trust me.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose