North & Hillard

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

North & Hillard

Post by Bart »

Anyone up for joining me in going through North and Hillard's Greek Prose Composition?
We could compare translations, discuss alternatives and keep eachother motivated.

I have the actual book and answer key, but the text is of course freely available on this website as PDF-file. Also, all the vocabulary of the book has been integrated into a memrise course : http://www.memrise.com/set/10037078/gre ... d-hillard/

I will probably start in 2 weeks or so, but due to a trip to France I can only fully commit myself from the second week of August.

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Re: North & Hillard

Post by ailuros »

Hi Bart,

I'm interested in giving it a shot. I could certainly use the practice. Dan

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

Hi Bart,

I would be interested in working through North and Hillard. I responded to your post earlier but for some reason my response did not go through. Thanks, Dan

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

Hi, nice to see that you want to take up North & Hillard as well. I've made the first six exercises (both the ones marked A as B) and so far it's good stuff. It forces you to think and formulate in Greek and it's a good revison of verbs and declensions. I'm struggling terribly with the accents though, but with more practice I'm sure that will be less of a problem.

It would be great to go through N&H together. To be honest, I'm not completely sure how to do this via the internet. We could assign a certain number of exercises as 'homework' every week and discuss problems we encountered here in this thread. Alternatively we could write out our entire translations of the exercises here, but that seems rather time consuming. I'm awfully sluggish as it comes to typing Greek.

Anyway, as I wrote in my first post, I will be on holiday till the second week of August. If you're still interested we could begin when I'm back. I will take a book on Greek accents and one on Greek verbs with me, so I hope to be well prepared!

Olbia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Olbia »

Hello.
I am not sure whether I could commit myself to doing Greek prose as homework, but I would certainly follow a thread on the subject!

Elizabeth Anne

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

Hi Bart,

I may have found a local tutor who will work with me on North and Hillard, but I'm not sure if that will pan out or not. In any case, we can talk in August when you are back from your trip. I majored in classics (many, many years ago) but did very little prose composition, although I see now how helpful it probably would have been, for all the reasons you mentioned in your post. It really does force one to grapple with vocabulary and idiom, and it will quickly reveal one's morphological gaps.

I'm not sure either how best to proceed if we do go forward. My own attempts at getting my Mac to type Ancient Greek have not been fruitful to date. Anyway, we can post when you are back. Hope your trip goes well! Dan

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

Hi Elizabeth Anne,

This topic might indeed work well as a thread. Many of the early exercises are single sentences, so there wouldn't be much typing involved. Dan

Pros
Textkit Member

Post by Pros »

Looking forward to following this thread also. I am a little ahead since I have been doing the exercises for a long time on and off but will enjoy the review. pros

gregf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gregf »

Count me in. I'll be finishing a Greek immersion program tomorrow and am looking for things to do to keep progressing, and N & H seems like a good plan. Let me know how you'd like to organize things.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

I have just started on N&H and while it is alarming how many mistakes I make, I'm not, so far, having any
trouble working out why the key says it should be different. But there's one exception.
2.6 is:
"By victory we become free."

This I render as this:
τῇ νίκῃ ελεύθερα γιγνόμεθα.

But the key has this:
τῷ νικᾶν ελεύθερα γιγνόμεθα.

Any suggestions as to why?
λονδον

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

They essentially have the same meaning: the former is datival substantive,
the latter, articular infinitive.
Nate.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

NateD26 wrote:They essentially have the same meaning: the former is datival substantive,
the latter, articular infinitive.
I have never before encountered the articular infinitive but I see on page 1 (which I skipped) it gives an example:
τῷ λέγειν by speaking
Thank you
λονδον