au(thi/+

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

au(thi/+

Post by Bert »

I ran across αὑτηΐ a form of οὗτος.
I looked it up using Perseus and it told me it is
Nom. Sg. Fem. indeclform iota_intens.
(My quess would have been dative with the iota subscript being changed to adscript.)
I don't understand why they would call it indeclinable but I've noticed that with other words as well.
Now my request: Can someone tell me something about iota_intens(ifying?)

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

I think it's just a peculiarity of the way Perseus categorizes its forms.

The -i suffix can be attached to the end of a demonstrative pronoun without changing the meaning a whole lot - as I understand it, it's used a lot in drama and oratory in sort of a deictic sense - that is, it points (δείκνυμι) at the person or thing being referred to.

So I imagine that Perseus has each of the possible forms with the -i ending attached categorized as a separate entry, which is why it calls it 'indeclinable', because each form itself - the form with the -i - is indeclinable. What declines is the demonstrative pronoun. (That would be my guess).

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: au(thi/+

Post by Skylax »

Bert wrote: (My quess would have been dative with the iota subscript being changed to adscript.)
Note that, from οὗτος., the feminine dative singular with an iota adscript should be ταύτηι.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: au(thi/+

Post by Bert »

Skylax wrote:
Bert wrote: (My quess would have been dative with the iota subscript being changed to adscript.)
Note that, from οὗτος., the feminine dative singular with an iota adscript should be ταύτηι.
Oh yes. Of course.