New White study group beginning soon?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
MDS
Textkit Fan

New White study group beginning soon?

Post by MDS »

Hello,

I'd like to learn Attic Greek now that I have both the time and motivation to do so. Will there be another White group beginning soon or does anyone else have recommendations for a study group?

Thanks!

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I do not know when another White group will start, but I doubt it will start anytime soon.

My recommendations to you depend on your previous experience with studying foreign language. White's book assumes some experience with Latin. If you have mastered at least one other foreign language, even if it's not Latin, I think you can handle White on your own for a while, asking questions on this board as they come up.

If you have not mastered a foreign language, you should either have a general grammar book handy to help you with figuring out the grammar, or you can look into textbooks which might be more beginner-friendly. Or you can try to go through White on your own until another group starts, and when that groups starts you'll have a head start.

If you want to learn Greek, now is the time to start, not when the group starts.

White teaches Attic Greek. If you haven't done so already, I recommend you read http://www.aoidoi.org/dialects.html

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Thank you for the prompt and helpful response GGG. Though my Latin is nowhere near "good" I do have "some experience" so hopefully going through White won't be too difficult. I will, as you suggest, begin going through White now rather than waiting for a group to start up.

kalowski
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kalowski »

MDS. I am on my second week of White, squeezing in a session when I can. I'm just about to start Feminine Declensions in [size=150]α[/size] (not [size=150]α8[/size])
The White Board is really useful for checking answers.
We could bang heads and discuss stuff and keep each other going if you want.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

kalowski: My apologies for not reading your reply on this thread before I responded on the Open Board. I'm glad to see we had the same idea! I'll send you a PM on it rather than clogging up this board...