New works

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I agree that most poetry is bad, whatever language it adorns (or soils). And most good poetry, in English or not, does not rapture me either. In fact, I doubt that the best poetry necessarily raptures me; I am very fond of a number of good, though not great, poems.

However, there are a few French poems which I love, such as the aforementioned "Le Pont Mirabeau". I did not care for it the first time I read it, but my affection for it grows each time I revisit it. I also love Sappho 1 in the original Greek, now that I understand it well (which took a while). I often mutter under my breath its lyrics at random times. I believe that, while foreign poetry is harder for me to penetrate, once penetrated I can have equal affection for it as poetry in my native language, English.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:You tell me, U-Reeker :wink: , do you find Homer more emollient than, say, Les Murray?
I would rather listen to a neighbour's dog barking at 2:00 in the morning than hear someone reciting Les Murray.
Bardo de Saldo wrote:(Most poetry isn't all that good.)
The eternal truth.