Is ουδε a compound negative ?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Is ουδε a compound negative ?

Post by NateD26 »

Yes, Junya. That's exactly the way I think this sentence should be read, but I'd love to
hear others pitch in.

I would like to add that the commentaries to which I've linked in previous posts here
see this as future fear, with one deciding to correct the verb to a subjunctive to reflect
such reading, and another criticizing the correction, noting the vividness of using pres. ind. over
subj./fut. ind.
Nate.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Is ουδε a compound negative ?

Post by Junya »

Nate wrote :
I would like to add that the commentaries to which I've linked in previous posts here
see this as future fear, with one deciding to correct the verb to a subjunctive to reflect
such reading, and another criticizing the correction, noting the vividness of using pres. ind. over
subj./fut. ind.
I think hora^te can be taken as be cautious toward the matter of present as well as toward the matter of future.
How about this reading ?
Be cautious, for the obligation of giving an account may not be on me (in the present circumstance), but on the majority of the citizens.