Homeric vs. Attic

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chodorov
Textkit Neophyte

Homeric vs. Attic

Post by chodorov »

The other day I was told that Koine Greek and Attic Greek are the same language. The difference is about the same as that between modern English and Shakespearean English. I am now wondering what the relation is between Homeric and Attic. Is it the same degree of difference? More or less?

I plan on starting with Koine and moving from there to Attic and Homeric, but I'm still open to other suggestions.
Last edited by chodorov on Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ragnar_deerslayer
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Homeric vs. Attic

Post by ragnar_deerslayer »

1. The general consensus is that it's easier to learn Greek starting with the earliest forms and moving forwards rather than starting with later Greek and working backwards. General rules in early Greek become obscure irregularities later. If you're already familiar with the earlier forms, the "obscure irregularities" don't trip you up.
2. Having said that, I went to seminary and learned Koine first, and now I'm working backwards. I can see that it's harder, but it's not *that* much harder.
3. I'm much more familiar with Koine than Attic or Homeric, but from looking through Pharr's Homeric course (available from this website), it seems the jump is larger between Homeric and Attic than between Attic and Koine. (I'll defer to more experienced voices, though.)

Do you have a textbook selected and/or study plan outlined?

Ragnar
Read my blog! --> Study Greek

Nooj
Textkit Member

Post by Nooj »

The other day Laura Gibbs told me that Koine Greek and Attic Greek are the same language. The difference is about the same as that between modern English and Shakespearean English. I am now qondering what the relation is between Homeric and Attic. Is it the same degree of difference? More or less?
The Homeric dialect is an artificial creation. No one ever spoke Homeric Greek natively. In part, it's a mishmash of various Greek dialects that reflects the history of its oral composition. To fit the dactylic hexameter, an epic poet may use one form from Ionic and in the very next line, use a different form from Attica. There's also a lot of old history reflected in the Homeric dialect, some going right back to PIE times.

I personally think you might find it easier if you move from Attic -> Ionic -> Homeric. You'll recognise a lot of the forms that way.
Dolor poetas creat.

chodorov
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chodorov »

ragnar_deerslayer wrote:1.
Do you have a textbook selected and/or study plan outlined?
Yes, I just ordered Croy's "A Primer of Biblical Greek." I also have a nice start in Latin (currently reading Lingua Latina Part 2) and I have learned the Greek alphabet.