"Teach Yourself" Users: Binding?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

"Teach Yourself" Users: Binding?

Post by Gregorius »

Is anyone else experiencing serious issues with Batts & Henry's "Teach Yourself Complete Ancient Greek"? The first copy I bought had pages falling out after about a month or so of use, but it was an older edition. The newer one had pages falling out in roughly the same time. I'm on my third copy (second copy of the newer edition), and one page is already falling out with a few others hanging on by a thread. It's frustrating, because I really prefer these authors' approach and pace. Is it safe to say that this particular publisher has some quality control problems, or am I jumping to conclusions? My grandmother recommended I contact Amazon, but I doubt they can do much about it. Binding is the printer's responsibility, not the retailer's. τὶ φρονεῖτε;

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: "Teach Yourself" Users: Binding?

Post by Lex »

I must confess that I was not able to use Betts and Henry for long enough for the binding to become an issue. Their annoying insistence on using the lunate sigma stopped me long before then.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Lex:

Betts and Henry have seen the error of their ways. No sign of a lunate sigma in the latest edition of their book. Let's hope the publishers will be the next to wake up - and get the book properly bound.

Cheers,
Int

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Gregorius wrote:Is anyone else experiencing serious issues with Batts & Henry's "Teach Yourself Complete Ancient Greek"? The first copy I bought had pages falling out after about a month or so of use, but it was an older edition. The newer one had pages falling out in roughly the same time. I'm on my third copy (second copy of the newer edition), and one page is already falling out with a few others hanging on by a thread. It's frustrating, because I really prefer these authors' approach and pace. Is it safe to say that this particular publisher has some quality control problems, or am I jumping to conclusions? My grandmother recommended I contact Amazon, but I doubt they can do much about it. Binding is the printer's responsibility, not the retailer's. τὶ φρονεῖτε;
No issues here. Mine is still in great condition. Mind you, I don't mangle my books too much. If I have a single page fall out (thanks for the warning), I'll go to the binder and get it spiraled. A lot of my study books have been bound with metal spirals. I just find it convenient. :)

I'd recommend that - gather up the pages and go to a bookbinder. Ask them to remove the spine and to put all of the pages together in a single spiral. It will save headache in the long run. We just happen to have a binder within walking distance of my apartment, so I go there any time I have the need.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Interaxus wrote:Betts and Henry have seen the error of their ways. No sign of a lunate sigma in the latest edition of their book.
Let's hope this is a wider trend.

The glue binding of the entire "Teach Yourself" language serious has always been erratic.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jswilkmd »

Mine fell apart within 6 weeks of use. I never really found its approach to work well for me and over time, I simply abandoned using it.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jswilkmd wrote:Mine fell apart within 6 weeks of use. I never really found its approach to work well for me and over time, I simply abandoned using it.
When did you get it? I'm not sure we're talking about the same book. This is a book that just came out a couple of months ago.

Here's a link to the new book: http://amzn.to/dMOTok

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jswilkmd »

Mine is an edition of a Teach Yourself book about Ancient Greek--I presume by the same author as it is by the same publisher (and uses the lunate sigma as one poster noted). It fell apart shortly after purchasing it.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jswilkmd wrote:Mine is an edition of a Teach Yourself book about Ancient Greek--I presume by the same author as it is by the same publisher (and uses the lunate sigma as one poster noted). It fell apart shortly after purchasing it.
It's not the same book. It's completely redone and is now a great book.

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jswilkmd »

Mine is Ancient Greek: a complete course, by Gavin Betts and Alan Henry. The 1993 U.S. Edition published by Teach Yourself. I hope they've redone it completely.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jswilkmd wrote:Mine is Ancient Greek: a complete course, by Gavin Betts and Alan Henry. The 1993 U.S. Edition published by Teach Yourself. I hope they've redone it completely.
Yes, it's completely redone, released in 2010. It's called Complete Ancient Greek: Teach Yourself, and it's MUCH MUCH better.