Learning Greek With Plato

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gigas phoberos »

Has anyone used this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Greek-Pl ... 1904675565

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Learning Greek With Plato

Post by pster »

Is it for beginner or intermediate?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

The cover says beginners

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Yes, I worked through it a few years ago and found it absolutely wonderful. If is very user friendly, with lots and lots of helps and an answer key. Definitely for beginners in that Benthem seems to realize how hard Greek is and really goes out of his way to give you all the help you need. I found Plato really hard before this but he allows you to get through some of the Meno. Highly recommended.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

CarmentaLatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CarmentaLatin »

I have been Using Pharr's Homeric Greek to learn Greek. Does anyone have any other recommendations of Homeric Greek textbooks?

--Andrew

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Pharr is one of three basic Homeric text books which all do the same thing. The other two are Beetham's book and A Reading Course in Homeric Greek by Shoder and Horrigan.

All three of these books are great. Homer students are lucky to have them and should work through all three. Shoder/Horrigan is the most complete and user friendly, although the comparison is a bit unfair because this book is in two volumes. The revised version is nice but not necessary. One of the great things about this book is the font size of the Homeric text.

When you finish Shoder you have read through the equivalent of I think six Homeric Books. And you are now perfectly ready to tackel the rest of Homer.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

CarmentaLatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CarmentaLatin »

Markos,

Thanks for the tip. I must admit that I do find the tiny type in Pharr's book rather annoying. I'll look into the others you mentioned.

--Andrew

philplus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by philplus »

I just want to add that Frank Beetham wrote both Learning Greek With Plato and Beginning Greek with Homer, and... An Introduction to New Testament Greek.

vickyt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vickyt »

If you want to learn greek send an email to this email address vickyspathar@yahoo.gr
Lance7_q wrote:Hi,
I want to know more about Greek.!
I want to learn greek language,dialect,tradition,lifestyle for me to be able to mingle greek person socialize and gain more information.
Of course with Plato!

Regards!

edufdezb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by edufdezb »

Does anyone know if one can find an interlinear translation of Meno thant can go with this book ?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Funny how the bots reply to one another. :lol:

Lance7_q, louisep887, linda56, samiparker, juliew9855, trish56, aliza, (panel123 :?:), orianablage, kathleenp980, NickyBarns, markjay50, Japcy07
and peterjerry2010 are spam bots. Please remove their posts.
Nate.