Τοιούτος

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Τοιούτος

Post by Constantinus Philo »

Does τοιούτοs always refer to what precedes ? Smyth is not very clear on the point. It seems that in Plato it often refers to what follows.
Semper Fidelis

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Τοιούτος

Post by Scribo »

I don't have a grammar to hand, but my instinct is that it's a case of almost always. Even when enjoined by τις as in τοιοῦτος τις.

I can't summon up an example from my memory contrariwise (obviously, not a huge point, but still) and it makes sense given the etymology τοῖος +‎ οὗτος.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

Sorry I didn't understand you saying it may refer both backwards and forwards, right?
Semper Fidelis

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

There is indeed a before and after distinction that can be made with τοιοῦτος and τοιόσδε, as you can read here:
LSJ, under τοιόσδε wrote:Hdt. 3.139, 4.50, freq. in Att.,Pl.Smp.173e, al.: in prose narrative τοιάδε is, prop., as follows, “τοιαῦτα” as aforesaid, Hdt.1.8, al. (cf. ὅδε,οὗτος); but this distn. is not strictly observed.
Besides that contextualisation wuthin the flow of the narrative, there is a lot more to τοιοῦτος than simply before and after, however. The demonstrative τοιοῦτος marks a word or phrase to show its relationship to other words or phrases. Those other words or phrases (either before or after) are marked with other words.

Are there words like οἷος, ὡς, ὅς, ὅσπερ, οἷόσπερ, etc. in the contexts you are reading?
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;