Loci Antiqui 6- lost subject..

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
kittica
Textkit Neophyte

Loci Antiqui 6- lost subject..

Post by kittica »

Hi there, thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this!

The passage I'm having trouble with is:

Haec enim est tyrannorum vita in qua nulla fides, nulla caritas, nulla benevolentia potest ess; omnia semper metuuntur, nullus locus est amicitiae.

My attempt has been:

This is indeed the life of the tyrants, in which there can be no faith, no affection and no kindness; it fears all things, has no place for friendship (??).

I am having particular trouble with prolific amount of plurals - fides, caritas, ... and also, am working from the presumption that it = life of tyrants, but think i may be wrong.

Any help appreciated!

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Loci Antiqui 6- lost subject..

Post by furrykef »

I'm amused, because I'd just finished L.A.5 and so L.A.6 is my next subject myself.

Careful with your typing, BTW; "ess" should be "esse".
kittica wrote:I am having particular trouble with prolific amount of plurals - fides, caritas
There aren't any plurals here. Fidēs and cāritās are both nominative singular (fidēs can also be nominative/accusative plural, but it isn't in this case).
it fears all things, has no place for friendship (??).
Remember that "metuō" isn't a deponent verb, so this is the passive voice: "all things are feared".

Thus, if I'm reading it right, the sentence means: "This is indeed the life of a tyrant, in which there can be no faith, affection, or kindness; all these things are feared [= a tyrant fears all these things] and there is no room for friendship."

So you were pretty close! :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!