Study Group

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Study Group

Post by Meowth »

i'm just starting to work with d'ooge book and i'd like to know if there's any study group for this book

i've seen some for greek students and also for the popular wheelock's book (many of them... is wheelock's really the best learning latin book out there ?)

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

[qoute]is wheelock's really the best learning latin book out there ?)[/qoute]

viewtopic.php?t=53

I myself think the best thing to do is buy as many textbooks as your wallet lets you. :P

w238354
Textkit Neophyte

Post by w238354 »

Hurro :)

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

classicalclarinet wrote:[qoute]is wheelock's really the best learning latin book out there ?)[/qoute]

viewtopic.php?t=53

I myself think the best thing to do is buy as many textbooks as your wallet lets you. :P

thanks a lot for replying my two posts ;)

yeah, i'm working with two textbooks (i downloaded also a&g latin grammar) and it seems to be the best option

Br. Devon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Br. Devon »

I just started working with D'Ooge, so if you would like to work together, let me know.

Br. Devon

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Just to sort of make something clear...

The purpose of this forum is for posting your questions on "Beginner's Latin" and "Beginner's Latin Book"

- tim

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Que? It's well that they should organise themselves with D'Ooge! Good luck you people! If you need any help just PM me or if you don't like me PM some one who knows more, which is an easy thing to find :wink:

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Episcopus wrote:Que? It's well that they should organise themselves with D'Ooge! Good luck you people! If you need any help just PM me or if you don't like me PM some one who knows more, which is an easy thing to find :wink:
What is the point of the forum if everybody uses private message groups? How shall a person who isn't part of group read the questions? Or the replies? Or ask? Is one group better than another? Are you in the right group? Is there a better group? Shouldn't we try to avoid this sort of thing?

- tim

Br. Devon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Br. Devon »

Forgive my bluntness, but it what point did someone say that they would take the study group off the forum? My understanding was that students who are studying D'Ooge might like to compare their exercises and relative successes and frustrations. It would seem natural to me that this would be best accomplished on a thread on a forum. For many, it is easier to study with others and compare thoughts to help cement concepts. I don't believe there is a coup d'état forming against the TextKit forum.

:lol:

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Br. Devon wrote:Forgive my bluntness, but it what point did someone say that they would take the study group off the forum? My understanding was that students who are studying D'Ooge might like to compare their exercises and relative successes and frustrations. It would seem natural to me that this would be best accomplished on a thread on a forum. For many, it is easier to study with others and compare thoughts to help cement concepts. I don't believe there is a coup d'état forming against the TextKit forum.
:lol:
There's no other way I know of to read:
I just started working with D'Ooge, so if you would like to work together, let me know.
in a forum whose explicit purpose is:
Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
without coming to the conclusion that you wish to hold your discussion outside the forum.

In all the posts made to this forum, comparing exercises, asking questions, presenting answers, working with the book it is an inevitable conclusion.

However, you say I'm wrong. OK. I guess I'm wrong.

- tim

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

My apologies Tim, I didn't realise them to be plotting a PM rapina of the D'Ooge forum! viva D'Ooge! que tenga muchos estudiantes!
Last edited by Episcopus on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

My apologies Tim, ...
Well, Episcopus, this is the day for apologies.

I do apologize if I was harsh or abrupt here.

I tried very hard to make a fairly simple point. This forum,
"Latin for Beginner's by D'Ooge", is one of the most helpful,
friendly forums on TextKit. There are other forums for other
purposes and languages; TextKit encourages study groups and
will assist in their creation and operation.

However, in this forum, which is devoted to the book for
which it is named, serves not only as a place where the newest
learner can ask practically any question about the book (and
we have!), present the most rudimentary attempts at translation
or composition without fear of derision but also where you can
interact with a variety of TextKit members of varying skill
levels and backgrounds in a learning context. The common bond
is the learning of the textbook we all use. IMO, forming a study
group at this level defeats the purpose and discourages any sort
of member participation. It comes across in a manner similar to
asking a coffeehouse waitress if she knows where you can get a
cup of coffee. "Here?" "No, I mean a good cup of coffee." That
sort of thing plays on my last nerve.

Many people, including myself, have spent long hours going over
the book, doing the exercises, asking questions, making many,
many, mistakes, and posting our results for review and comment.
There have been times when I wanted to shout at people "Read the
forum!" There are so many answers there to questions to help
smooth the road with the book. After that or beyond it, if you
prefer, ask your question here. I have never seen any question
asked here that has not gotten a fairly quick reply or that wasn't
helpful.

But that's not my job; not my responsibility; not my purpose.
I'm learning just like the everyone else. Others should do as
they see fit.

- tim
Last edited by Timothy on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

As the 'editor' (ahum) of the Key to D'Ooge Latin for Beginners, I too hope you will keep the discussions on the forum. You don't want to know how many errors have been corrected that way already!

You are working now with version 1.0 of the Key. It is, as you can see, incomplete and not always accurate. Version 2.0 will be, I hope, complete and faultless...with your help :).

Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well today Meowth PM me and I was glad to help him, but you should ask questions on this forum too. I will still answer them in Spanish if you want Meowth, if it helps your learning of latin :)

Glad to see action here. Bit of tumultus too!

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

yeah, i'm not against forum's purposes, i LOVE forums ! i always check 'em before my e-mail accounts, so starting threads, asking questions (even if they are soooo dumb) and such things is MY personal reason to come to textkit

i'll be posting as my personal study goes on, but i just had doubts about study groups since i've seen greek study groups here and some wheelock's study groups there around... only another way to help myself learning latin, studying with more people, but that's all ;)

thanks for your support !