We Know Just About Nothing Again!

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
Post Reply
threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:28 pm

This is what most people say. But actually, I claimed that these 3 things are law. This means that they do not apply to what they imply. In other words, those 3 laws are the only facts.
phpbb

User avatar
Jung He Fah Toy
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:47 pm

Post by Jung He Fah Toy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:47 pm

They solved this matter already I think.
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:55 pm

I think that the final outcome of my message is similar to what I had originally said.
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:45 pm

"We cannot know anything."
"We cannot prove anything."
"We cannot disprove anything."

These are 3 statements that one cannot be certain about. This is what I believe though. I believe these statements to be true. Even though there is some doubt in them, I believe them. To me, the doubt is not large.

You can either agree with this statement for the fact that anything is possible. Or you can disagree with it simply because it contradricts itself. In other words, you can accept a 99/100 chance or a 1/100 chance. The choice is yours...
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:49 pm

The Three Laws that Apotheosis and I have agrred on are the following.

1. One cannot predict future events with absolute certainty.

2. One cannot observe reality neutrally. If one tries to, he will have his own perspective on the universe.

3. One cannot conclude with absolute certainty that his prespective of the universe is proportional to reality.
That was me. I want to change and tweak them a bit.

1. One cannot know reality at any point in time from any point in space.

2. One cannot observe reality in a pure form. If one tried, he/she would have his/her own interpretation of the universe.

3. One cannot conclude with absolute certainty that his/her interpretation of reality is proportional to reality or another's interpretation of reality.

Again like in my last post, you can either accept this to be true or not. It is my take on knowledge. Its something I would like to share...
phpbb

User avatar
Apotheosis
Textkit Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:25 pm

Post by Apotheosis » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:48 pm

To be frank, I disagee with all of them. But then again, that's just my opinion.
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:07 pm

Indeed...But I was thinking about something. I cannot know anything. How can I know that I don't know anything? Well how can I know that there is a possibility that that I can know something? Well how can I know that there is a possibility that there is a possibility that I can know something? Well how can I know that there is a possibility that there is a possibility that there is a possibility that I can know something?...

The pattern would repaet forever. There would be one encouraging the statement that I cannot know anything and one that says you cannot be certain about it. In other words, there would be an infinite amount of statements about each one. This would result in an infinity clash. Infinity minus infinity equals 0. They cancel each other out. You are left with something. But what? It is neither that you can know something or that you cannot know something.

I think it is therefore a choice someone has to make. I think that there is a 99% chance that you cannot know anything in reality. That is what I think. I believe that there is a 1% chance that we can know things in reality.
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:54 pm

If you believe that we cannot know anything, then you know everything possible thing to know...
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Post by threewood14 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:08 pm

I think it would be more appropriote to list things that you are certain about here...
phpbb

User avatar
Apotheosis
Textkit Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:25 pm

Post by Apotheosis » Mon May 03, 2004 11:17 pm

I am certain that I am a male.
phpbb

Post Reply