Search found 73 matches

by Baker
Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Why Not Herodotos?
Replies: 31
Views: 12156

Re: Why Not Herodotos?

For Herodotos most of the commentaries I've been looking at have been historical, I'll keep looking. How and Wells' commentary (1912), available on Project Gutenberg, seems to be, still, the only complete commentary in English. When reading H. in translation (Grene) many years ago, I found their co...
by Baker
Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Why Not Herodotos?
Replies: 31
Views: 12156

Re: Why Not Herodotos?

For those in the dark, or worried about the differences in Herodotus vs. other authors, Geoffrey Steadman's edition of Book 1 is a good place to start. It is available by CC license at http://geoffreysteadman.com/files-herodotus/ . It provides a nice core vocabulary list and running vocabulary for t...
by Baker
Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Reading Thucydides 2014
Replies: 707
Views: 304013

Re: Reading Thucydides 2013

The semantic range of ἐλπίς and ἐλπίζω was broader than English "hope." LSJ notes that ἐλπίζω can mean "expect a bad thing," even "fear." Thanks for that. This broadens my thinking on this passage, and many others. I suppose it is important to remember that our 'hope' is conditioned by Christianity...
by Baker
Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:36 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Reading Thucydides 2014
Replies: 707
Views: 304013

Re: Reading Thucydides 2013

Hobbes has: "Though the multitude were grieved with this proceeding for the present, yet for the great hope they had of the king's pay they stirred not." Therefore, he supports ii. Where do you get "seemed", John? Also, I think there is less of a difference between 'great hope' or 'abundance of hope...
by Baker
Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:05 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Reading Thucydides 2014
Replies: 707
Views: 304013

Re: Reading Thucydides 2013

Hi John,

Before I add my opinion on how to translate, did you see the entry in LSJ under εὔπορος where it says that "τὸ εὔ., = εὐπορία?" It refers directly to this passage.
by Baker
Fri May 10, 2013 11:31 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Plb. 6.5.2
Replies: 29
Views: 11274

Re: Plb. 6.5.2

Qimmick wrote:ὅσον doesn't have the same gender as αὐτοῦ; it's not the same as αὐτοῦ, it's a part of αὐτοῦ. ὅσον is neuter and correlative with neuter τοῦτο because it refers to an abstract quantity or amount or partial extent of the λόγος, not to the λόγος itself.
This makes it clearer...thanks.

Eliot
by Baker
Thu May 09, 2013 1:53 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Plb. 6.5.2
Replies: 29
Views: 11274

Re: Plb. 6.5.2

Sorry --

οὗτος, αὕτη, τοῦτο
by Baker
Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Plb. 6.5.2
Replies: 29
Views: 11274

Re: Plb. 6.5.2

I'm also confused as to where the neuter τοῦτο comes from. From the context, it seems we have a masculine subject. ὁ λόγος really seems to be our original subject. Then we switch to a part of it, it is true. But does that then allow us to just switch to neuter? Considering the LSJ entry at B.II.1-4...
by Baker
Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Unanswered Questions
Replies: 7
Views: 3025

Re: Unanswered Questions

Phew. I was starting to wonder if I had it all wrong. I'm glad you worked this out as I didn't have more time to pursue it.

Thanks for the update,

Eliot
by Baker
Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:19 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Unanswered Questions
Replies: 7
Views: 3025

Re: Unanswered Questions

You appear to have the answers so please don't take me in the wrong way. The first sentence could be: "We have shields and swords that are good." And if so, then they would both be modified by good. And what do you make of White 813: "When an adjective either precedes the article, or follows the nou...
by Baker
Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:04 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Unanswered Questions
Replies: 7
Views: 3025

Re: Unanswered Questions

You seem to be taking the adjectives here to be attributive when they are, in fact, predicate adjectives. For all you want to read about adjectives (and more), see Smyth, 1018 - 1062. For the succinct answer, see 813 of White.

Cheers,
Eliot
by Baker
Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:12 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: Fam. 7.5
Replies: 4
Views: 1373

Re: Fam. 7.5

Maybe this // Ita forsit : So I am sending Trebatius to you and I do so just as I, on my own bat, reckoned he ought to be sent to you from the start, despite/besides however being asked. I like it! However, consider the letter from the beginning and I believe you will change your translation. You d...
by Baker
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: Fam. 7.5
Replies: 4
Views: 1373

Re: Fam. 7.5

I take that ita to be a preface to the following two purpose clauses; so, ..."and these are the reasons why I am sending him, first because ..., and moreover/second because ... Your first clause, viz., "...that first I thought that he was to be sent on my initiative...," is a bit too wordy for idiom...
by Baker
Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: Richness of a language
Replies: 20
Views: 8864

Re: Richness of a language

How, pray, does my comment "drive to the heart of the matter"? As to your comparison: if I am not mistaken, you are referring to the fact that on Newton's time it was difficult to accept a force pulling without direct contact. Similarly, it is still difficult for some to accept that consciousness d...
by Baker
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: Richness of a language
Replies: 20
Views: 8864

Re: Richness of a language

@ Laurentivs, æ is not a grapheme used in contemporary English orthography. Nor does it serve any phonetic purpose. Your word "quæstion" (not to mention "æqual" [!]) is misspelled. And obnoxious. Oh, sorry, I never noticed that before. On the other hand, what about "æsthetic"? :D jbutle04, your com...
by Baker
Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 pm
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Relation between Greek language and Mathematics.
Replies: 3
Views: 3631

Re: Relation between Greek language and Mathematics.

To be a bit pedantic here:

3.14 does not equal pi. Any representation of pi must be a numerical approximation. The ratio does not produce pi to even 3 digits. I know, I'm killing the fun but, honestly ...
by Baker
Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:52 am
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

Is it not good to point out perceived weaknesses in an argument, MatthaeusLatinus? If you can listen to criticism and it is valid, will you not be able to argue better as a consequence? That's not relativism. Nonnè bonum est, MatthaeeLatine, defectus argumenti conspicatos demonstrari? Nonnè meliùs ...
by Baker
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:20 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

Woo, I'm one of the last few teens who write in cursive out there, plus I teach myself Latin, history, and many other archaic languages and historical entities and I'm said to be one of the most academically gifted 16 year olds in the area. :mrgreen: You see, Latin is useful. I can't say why, and I...
by Baker
Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

timeodanaos wrote:I think this topic should be moved to a more appropriate board. By now, it has very little to do with learning Latin.
I agree, by now it has very little to do with anything. :)

Eliot
by Baker
Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

So then you agree that it is not fully an eye in every respect? As to the human in a coma, etc., I would say what I said before about how humans are what they are in two ways. I understand that this description of mine is incomplete but I don't know at the moment how to fill it in better. Perhaps yo...
by Baker
Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 am
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

I don't believe in intelligent design or creationism. I know that most people who discuss this issue in the way that I have do believe in such things, so I don't blame you for thinking as much. I was honestly thinking of make in the sense of "put together" or "build." I see your point about the thin...
by Baker
Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:25 am
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

By the way, adrianus, are you writing the Latin first or second in your response? Your last response in English uses improper arrangement of words in one case and confusing arrangement in another. However, it works perfectly in Latin.
by Baker
Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:20 am
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

Why wouldn't you imagine as a certainty that living things don't have ends (by which you surely mean purposes) in the way that some man-made things are made for a deliberate purpose (leaving aside man-made things made for no purpose)? What about the eye? What is man-made that is not made for a purp...
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

I agree that learning Latin per se does not make us more human. I should have been more exact and said that it is an example of an action that is uniquely human. I was not using my words loosely when I said that, as you phrase it, our actions make us human. I was, again, disregarding for the moment ...
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:40 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

I agree with what you say about the cat. It would have to be some serious trickery to make a nice looking cat like that. But I think humans are strangely different than cats in that it takes more to make a human. Granted I could see a nice image of a human and conclude in the same way that I am pret...
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:18 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

You're absolutely right. It looks like a cat but I can't be certain.
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:03 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

That is obviously a picture of a cat. :)
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:08 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

Let's say psychologically. If he were deemed insane, why wouldn't the vulture be deemed insane when he did it. Also, if recognizing a human is part of our programming, what would distinguish a robot that looked in every way like a human, acted in every way like a human, and provided no sensual clues...
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:40 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

But, I can say that even if someone "was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws", he would still be human despite his insanity and his actions. If that is the case, the...
by Baker
Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

Again no one thing makes us human but a related family of things makes us so. There are indeed characteristics that distinguish the human species and some appear at a superficial level and don't require you to dissect the other to say that they're human (see http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/crser...
by Baker
Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:14 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

You seem to think that it is obvious what a human is. But what is it that makes us uniquely human? Is it only the "biological" parts of us? Our way of communicating? It certainly isn't that we all have hair, or two eyes, etc. because that would include other animals. Your response suggests that it i...
by Baker
Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 am
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

So I can look at myself, but when I try to look at "others," how do I know that what I see is a human?


Eliot
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

But what does it mean to be human?

Eliot
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

To follow on the image of a bee, I ask, what is the being of a bee? And if we can find this, perhaps we can then ask, what is the being of a human being? Consider the following: Socrates I seem to be in a most lucky way, Meno; for in seeking one virtue I have discovered a whole swarm of virtues ther...
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:50 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

adrianus wrote:Nor did you say that some groups of humans are superior to others, but "some groups act more human than others".
Is this not true?

Eliot
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:37 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

See above for my explicit avoidance of the word "superior." You say that because you cannot communicate with a bee, you cannot know "how sophisticated they are aesthetically or at play." And yet the following statement is a recognition that humans are different than bees in a "silly" sort of way; al...
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm
Forum: Learning Latin
Topic: What's the point?
Replies: 138
Views: 50404

Re: What's the point?

I'll accept your clarification and only focus on "in a uniquely human way" but lets minimize it now that we, I think, understand what we mean by that. Lets say that when we write "acting qua human," we mean "acting in a uniquely human way." A medical doctor, insofar as he is doing something useful, ...
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Learning two languages simultaneously - bad idea?
Replies: 23
Views: 10018

Re: Learning two languages simultaneously - bad idea?

C. S. Bartholomew wrote:Eliot wrote:

CSB, you seem to have some strong views on methodology and a lot of teaching experience.



Eliot,

I have very little teaching experience...
You have misquoted here. Your response should be to pster, not to me.

Eliot.
by Baker
Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 am
Forum: Learning Greek
Topic: Learning two languages simultaneously - bad idea?
Replies: 23
Views: 10018

Re: Learning two languages simultaneously - bad idea?

Out of curiosity, how's your Greek? Why did you start studying in the first place? My Greek is far from fluent but coming along nicely. I have more time this year to spend on it than I have had in the recent past. I started to study Greek because I studied Latin in college and started to come acros...