Textkit Logo

ποιοῦσαιν

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

ποιοῦσαιν

Postby EberP » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:42 pm

khairete pantas,

I'm new to this site but hopefuly some one may help me. I am editing Rouses' Greek Boy (one of the last texts) and I have encountered this world that appears odd to me:

"εἶεν ἂν οὖν εἰδοποιοὶ διαφοραί , ὅσαι ἕτερον εἶδος ποιοῦσαιν , καὶ ὅσαι ἐν τῷ τί ἦν εἶναι παραλαμβάνονται"

Is it possible that that word is a dual dative/genetive female particple?
EberP
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ποιοῦσαιν

Postby anphph » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:56 pm

It's a typo for ποιοῦσιν.
anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby jeidsath » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:23 pm

This isn't in Greek Boy, at least not that I know of. What chapter is it? It's a quote from Isagoras. In fact, the OCR error that you're looking at comes from a scan of this document:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 1up;seq=72

The document is correct, but the original OCR mistake is here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenG ... p-grc1.xml

I just don't know how that would have made its way to whatever edition of Greek Boy that you're looking at.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Postby mwh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm

The takeaway is Never trust OCR-dependent texts. OCR technology has added another layer of corruption to our texts. As if there weren’t enough already. Fortunately it’s usually easy to spot OCR-caused corruption, if you know the language.
mwh
Textkit Zealot

Postby Barry Hofstetter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:13 pm

mwh wrote:The takeaway is Never trust OCR-dependent texts. OCR technology has added another layer of corruption to our texts. As if there weren’t enough already. Fortunately it’s usually easy to spot OCR-caused corruption, if you know the language.

Text criticism lives!
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby anphph » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:42 pm

EberP wrote:Is it possible that that word is a dual dative/genetive female particple?

Context obviously forbids it, but anyway a dual dative/genitive feminine active participle would be ποιούσαιν, with the accent like that.
anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby EberP » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:59 pm

χαίρετε πάντες πάλιν,

Thank you to everyone that has replied and sorry for the delay, I had some problems with my account =(
You were right "jeidsath" the text I am working on is "Introduction to Aristotle's Categories" (Isagoge) and not "Greek Boy."

ἀσπάζομαί σε!
EberP
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek