Best book to start with?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
sigma957
Textkit Neophyte

Best book to start with?

Post by sigma957 »

I would like to get opinions on which book is better to start with--

Beginner's Latin Book by Collar and Daniell or
Latin For Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge?

Pros, cons of each? Thanks!

Barbara

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

By default, Latin For Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge

- because it's has active members who have or are working with it.
- because nobody has done Beginner's Latin Book by Collar and Daniell
- because there is no answer key for Beginner's Latin Book by Collar and Daniell
- because Episcopus says so. ;)

- tim

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You can try going through both of them, or learning from one but doing the lessons from both for extra practice. I believe Barrius uses this technique.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Might I suggest something a little different. It depends, of course, on why you wish to study Latin. If for school work, then one of the two books you listed would be best. However, if (like me) you are studying as a hobby, then 'Learn Latin', by Peter Jones is a great and inexpensive introduction to the language. It teaches you, in fun, easy steps just enough (and no more!) to read excerpts from Catullus, some bible stuff, and parts of the Bayeux tapestry.
It covers quite a lot of the language, albeit superficially (the subjunctive takes only 4 pages), but having read the book, and done the exercises, as you progress through a more advanced course there's less feeling of 'omigod what's this?' than would otherwise be the case.
Just my 2 cents worth (which at current exchange rates is worth about 0.6 cents)

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

benissimus wrote:You can try going through both of them, or learning from one but doing the lessons from both for extra practice. I believe Barrius uses this technique.
Perfectly correct. I haven't progressed far in either (currently sidetracked by vocabulary project), but will resume. I especially like the extra practice found in C&D, and the fact that I can't cheat by looking at an answer key.

That forces me to respond on thread for verification, and I actually LEARN from my mistakes, as those that have been responded have been most gracious and helpful.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Timothy wrote:By default, Latin For Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge

- because Episcopus says so. ;)
Like Austin 316. If learning latin be your desire this is the only book you will require. :wink:

sigma957
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sigma957 »

Well then, it will be Latin For Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge, but using the other text for additional exercises.

KDE has a flashcard program, which I plan to use for vocabulary practice.

Thanks!

Barbara

timfoley
Textkit Neophyte

[face=Verdana]What is the best book to learn Ecclesiasitical

Post by timfoley »

What is the best book to learn Ecclesiasitical Latin?
Please email me at timfoley@catholicexchange.org.

Thank You