A portkey

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

A portkey

Post by ricelius »

A friend and I have recently begun wondering about how to translate a certain term from an English book into Latin. More specifically, it's the word "portkey", created by the author of Harry Potter. In short, a "portkey" is a thing that can be used to instantly transport people from one place to another. However, we find it very difficult to come up with a Latin expression for this, especially because we'd like this Latin expression to be at least a tad catchy. I have a couple of attempts here. Please tell me if they are valid, and do contribute if you have any suggestions.

clavis portandi (key of transporting)
clavis portae (literally port key I guess)
clavis portans (key that transports)
clavis portanda (key that is to be transported)

As you see, it becomes increasingly difficult as the "port" in "portkey" can be regarded as both a verb and a noun.

Thanks!

Ricelius

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Why don't you just check how it is in the Latin Harry Potter, or has that one not come out yet?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ricelius »

Only the first installment has been published in Latin (I don't even know if they're planning on translating the other books). However, this word doesn't appear till book iv.

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

[quote][/quote]

Since you're expressing the purpose of the key, perhaps

clavis ad portandum

or something similar woud be appropriate.

Magistra