Textkit Logo

Gerunds and Present Participles

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Gerunds and Present Participles

Postby Episcopus » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:07 pm

Am I right in saying that the present participle is the adjective and gerund is the noun? The -ing forms are totally different.

And what is what I just said in Latin :?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Episcopus » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:50 pm

Can gerundives be plural adjectives? If not Whyever not? I realise that the gerundive used in the gerund-adjective way is the corresponding adjective, but D'Ooge hasn't clearly told me what the difference between the uses of the present participle and gerundive...It's a bit confusing, not hard...but things aren't clear...help
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:14 pm

The Gerundivum is an adjective derived from a verb, and has a passive meaning. You can have it in singular or pluaral and in all cases (a or o declension). There are different way in which you can use it, seems like this is where you're confused, so here some examples:

you can use it attributive:
Uno anno duo consules sine memorando proelio ab Hannibalis militibus iterfecti sunt.
In one single jear two consuls were killed by Hannibals soldiers without a battle worth remembering.

praedicative:
Hannibal insidias parandas curavit.
Hannibal was responisble for the carrying out of the attacks (I'm no good at translating exactly, I know :wink: ).

or as a noun belonging to the main verb:
Denique bellum in Africa finiendum erat.
At last the war had to be ended in Africa.

Don't be mixed up with the Gerundium and Gerundivum.
Hope that helped a bit.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin