Textkit Logo

Verb morphology

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Verb morphology

Postby Lavrentivs » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:42 pm

I feel it's about time to learn all the verb forms, and I assume that the best way to do that is to understand the phonetic changes that make them so irregular. Can anyone recommend a good nay the best explanation of those?
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Re: Verb morphology

Postby cb » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 pm

hi, i recommend the tiarks document that i linked to in this earlier post: viewtopic.php?t=11778

then you can check veitch for particular verbs: http://www.archive.org/stream/greekverb ... 6/mode/2up

the best book on verbs by far in my opinion is duhoux's le verbe grec ancien, but it's pretty long - better to read all of a short document than part of a long one.

cheers, chad :)
cb
Textkit Fan

Re: Verb morphology

Postby Markos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

περὶ μὲν οὖν τῶν μορφολογικῶν, τὸ Smyth, Greek Grammar πεφίληκα σφόδρα.

{ For morphology, a good, nay the best, is Smyth, Greek Grammar. }

...better to read all of a short document than part of a long one.

hi, Chad. Χαῖρε Χαδ. Smyth is relatively short. μικρὸν τὸ Smyth. cheers. ἴθι πολλὰ χαίρων.
I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek