Textkit Logo

figure?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

figure?

Postby Lavrentivs » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Pl. Ap. 24b4:

αὕτη ἔστω ἱκανή ἀπολογία πρὸς ὑμᾶς: πρὸς δὲ Μέλητον ..

Let this apology before you be sufficient; but against Meletum ..

Here two occurrences of πρός with only one word separating them is used in two different senses. My quæstion: is this a figure of speech with a Greek name?

(How does one produce an ἄνω τελεία (upper dot) in Windows?)
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Re: figure?

Postby Cheiromancer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:20 pm

To make an interpunct, type ALT+0183. It·will·give·you·little·dots·like·this.

I am not sure about whether there is a play in words at this point of the Apology. Suppose Socrates had said (in English)

Let this apology be enough for you; as for Meletus...

This sounds to me like ordinary prose. The double use of "for" in close proximity to one another doesn't seem remarkable.
Cheiromancer
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Markos » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 pm

τὸ μὲν οὖν τούτου τοῦ σκήματος ὄνομα οὐκ οἶδα. οἱ μὲν Βρεττανικοὶ οὕτως λαλοῦσιν, οἱ δὲ Ἕλληνες συχνοτέρως.

{ I’m not sure if there is a name for this or not. I agree with Cheiromancer that we do this in English, but it seems to me that it occurs more often in Greek. }
I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby Akemdwr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Lavrentivs wrote:Pl. Ap. 24b4:
How does one produce an ἄνω τελεία (upper dot) in Windows?

If you use polytonic greek keyboard in Windows, press AltGr+Shift+]
And that will be the very ἄνω τελεία, not something like ἄνω τελεία
I'm Russian-speaking and I learn both Ancient Greek and English, but I speak Greek better than English, so I write in Greek.
Ῥωσικὸς ὤν τῇ φωνῇ μανθάνω μὲν Ἑλληνικήν τε καὶ Βρεττανικὴν γλῶσσαν, ἐπίσταμαι δὲ τὴν Ἑλληνικὴν ἄμεινον, τούτου ἕνεκα ἑλληνιστὶ γράφω.
Ἀκέμδωρ
Akemdwr
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek